Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of moth/butterfly is this?

Options
  • 26-01-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys

Snapped a picture of this bug a few months ago and have been puzzling over it ever since. Was wondering if anyone with knowledge of insects could let me know what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Wren A. Magreet

Hi guys

Snapped a picture of this bug a few months ago and have been puzzling over it ever since. Was wondering if anyone with knowledge of insects could let me know what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's a butterfly for starters!:)It's one of two possible species - the Large White(Pieris brassicae,more commonly known as the 'Cabbage White'),or it may be the Small White(Pieris rapae).It's difficult to judge the size from the photo,but the Large White tends to have darker wing tips,so my guess is it's the Large White(V Moth and Mothman,two resident Lepidoptera experts here,may totally disagree with me!).It's definitely a female(2 spots on each forewing) - the males of both species only have one black spot on each forewing.Both species are very common in Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieris_brassicae

Advertisement