Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright

Options
  • 25-01-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the deal is with recording someone reading a poem? Do I need to get permission from copyright holders?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Would depend really on what it is being used for, its for something that will be published, yes you would.

More info here http://www.poetryireland.ie/resources/copyright.html

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

That is a bummer. I wanted to just do a digital media mash up of a Kavanagh poem with images in the background. Just cos I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

cue wrote: »
    That is a bummer. I wanted to just do a digital media mash up of a Kavanagh poem with images in the background. Just cos I like it.
    As long as you're not making money off it I don't think Kavanaghs going to be coming after you. If the readers are reading the poem in a professional capacity then it can be seen as a performance. If it's just normal people that read the poetry in a public setting you still need to have them sign releases or maybe that depends on the venue??

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Hmmm. I think the problem is that Youtube puts ads on it and that can be seen as money-making but i doubt it will generate enough views to pay for my retirement. I might check out putting it on vimeo instead. Reader is non-professional so that is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

cue wrote: »
    Hmmm. I think the problem is that Youtube puts ads on it and that can be seen as money-making but i doubt it will generate enough views to pay for my retirement. I might check out putting it on vimeo instead. Reader is non-professional so that is not an issue.
    You can disable ads on videos that have copyrighted material. I've done this on videos where I knew there was a small bit of copyrighted material playing in the background, if you're not asking youtube for money it seems they're not as strict on policing copyright. Not until you're into the tens of thousands of views anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

fair use

Advertisement