Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sheep losing wool

Options
  • 25-01-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

I noticed today that the flock of texel cross ewes were start to loose some wool. Not a lot but but after catching a few of them, it wasn't too difficult to pull some wool out. They aren't scratching or irritated by anything, so I'm ruling out scab. They were dosed not so long ago for fluke (about 6 weeks). Any ideas? or should I just dose for fluke again. They are housed during the night and about 3 weeks from lambing. Is it recommended to dose this close to lambing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Dad had a ewe do similar one time, thought it was serious. Can't remember what it turned out to be but she got an injection from the vet that sorted it.

Was she thin previously and started to come on recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fixitagaintomo

I was reading that just there now. This is a separate case, majority of flock of 200 just losing a small but noticeable amount. These are well fed ewes with access to mineral blocks at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

What did you dose with?

If a sheep gets a temperature they can lose wool but that would be a isolated case

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fixitagaintomo

Albex 10%
    razor8 wrote: »
    What did you dose with?

If a sheep gets a temperature they can lose wool but that would be a isolated case

Advertisement