Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What options

Options
  • 25-01-2014 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

I dont really have much idea about all this smartphone this and 4g that. I can just about send texts on my own thing at the minute.

So I was talking to a few of the lads over in AH and it seems these days you can basically buy a smart phone and do all your texting and phone calls over the internet these days free of charge with all the right apps.

Can you explain this to me. The phone I was looking at was the experia z1. Would you recommend it? And is it hard to setup with skype etc?

Also, if someone wants to call me of their landline how does that work? I think skype works by usernames doesnt it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

To use them for free you need a decent data package or wifi.

There are better options than a Z1 in my opinion, a Nexus 5 or HTC One are excellent phones. If you didn't mind something bigger a Note 3 is a great option.

For Skype, just log in with your username. Most plans will have a good call allowance so you might be better off using them if you're calling a landline. Skype can supply you with a number to use but it would be needless expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

Is this where that 4G thing comes in for the data package? Who do I get that with?

I had a look on the skype website and Id be looking at 5 euro per month that gets me unlimited landlines. Then mobiles Im looking at 8 cent a minute. And texts clock in at 10 cent each. And then factor in the cost of the 4g and I think Id probably end up spending roughly the same money (and then you say getting skype to give a number costs aswell so thats another charge). Im not sure it works out any cheaper really.

For what its worth, Im burning up around 80euro credit a month on PAYG and if I wasnt so conscious of it all the time and cutting conversations/calls short I could go through probably 100euro. Vodafone offered me a deal (2 year contract) of 55euro a month for unlimited landlines and unlimited mobiles and includes a brand new phone (experia z1) which I thought was a great deal but a lot of people in the thread thought it was a rip off.... but Im just not sure where or what these cheaper alternatives are.

Can anyone link or show me a package that would be better than vodafones deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Check with other providers, Vodafone are probably the most expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭Invincible

PM sent.

Advertisement