Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French and English help.

Options
  • 25-01-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi I need a bit of help with these two, more so the former.

French
    So, it's safe to say I am not very good at French, so I hope to play to my strengths with it instead - learning things off.

I really do need at least a C in French (for points reasons), but the higher the better obviously. So I was wondering how to go about this? Any tips (more detail the better) about what to learn i.e for things like diary, opinion piece.

Oh! And those damn Listening and Reading comprehensions!!! I am so so so so bad at reading comprehensions, any tips for this?

English
    Okay not a huge problem here but a few problems nonetheless.

For the Composing section, I read the titles and find it hard to actually come up with anything to write for any of them! My strengths would definitely be short story or personal essay for this section but I really do have trouble coming up with ideas for both. Any tips?

For Macbeth - what to learn?
    I have; Kingship, Appearance vs. Reality, Evil, Lady Macbeth, Macbeth. I have no notes on anything else and am worried that I should.

Oh and finally for Macbeth and the Comparative I struggle to get 3 pages and 4/5, respectively, I am worried I'll lose a lot of marks as a result. Any suggestions?

I know this is a lot of questions in one point and so I would appreciate any help whatsoever regarding any of these questions. Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

French:

Diary is a good place to start. Our teacher said to talk about our feelings, so learn off phrased about joy, sadness, anger and exhaustion. 'se sentir' usually features about 6-8 times in my diary's. Also other idioms such as 'Je suis aux anges' (I'm over the moon), and J'en ai marre de tout' (I fed up of it) are good to throw in.

For opinion pieces verbs and vocab are essential. Since you can't predict what will come up knowing alot of verbs will help you form sentences. I like using 'On peut +infinitive' (One can ____/see/hear/notice...)

Reading & Listening Comprehensions: For Reading each question usually has a 'buzz word' which directly links it to the passage. Try to out some of the sentences and if it seems right write it down. Never leave anything blank.

Englsih:
    Short Stories should be a last resort unless your unbelievable imaginative. Personal essays are easier but depend on the topic.

Macbeth is kinda sorted there. You can easily change your learned off answers to suit a question that comes up.

Finally, once you have 5 good points for Macbeth and 5 for Comparitive length won't matter. Usually I get 2.5 pages for Macbeth and maybe 3/4 for Comparitive. Usually I get 50+/60+ respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 40 whynothey

Thanks a lot!

For Macbeth, are you sure? I see people with big lists like influence of the witches and what role does macfuff/duncan/malcolm play etc etc

Oh and you say short stories and personal essays should be avoided, what would you recommend instead?

Advertisement