Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim for christmas holidays

Options
  • 25-01-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

I work in education and do not get paid when there are school holidays but I can claim social welfare.

I still have not received payment for the Christmas break which began on December 20th. All of my claims just seem to get processed between 1-2 months after I submit it yet I never hear anybody else mention the same but I haven't asked either.

I have questioned the delay since the purpose surely is to support me financially while I am out of work rather than a backpayment almost 2 months later. I just tend to find myself strapped for cash while on these holidays. Nobody ever comes back to me with an answer from social welfare though.

So basically i'm just wondering is there anybody else out there who claims for the same reason? If so, how long do you have to wait?

Does anybody know what the daily amount is as well? I have asked twice because I suspect inconsistencies in payments I have received (same amount for different number of days) but they won't give me an answer. The dates on the receipt attached to the cheque could say September 10 - November 5th (that was on the Halloween break claim so I actually don't know how many days they gave me).

I understand there are huge numbers of people in the system and i'm not having a rant. I'm just curious because they won't give me the answers at all :/

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

With regard to suspected inconsistencies in payments you need to contact you local sw office. Just be aware that if a bank holiday falls within the timeframe of your claim this will not be paid by sw as you would probably have had the requisite number of hours worked in the 5 week period prior to bank holiday whereby your employer should pay you for the bank holiday. With regard to 1-2 months wait for payment after returning to work what usually happens is that all education sector workers claims are processed as a job lot. There a quite a number of education sector workers signing on for each mid term and christmas/easter breaks and its a much better use of resources doing them as a job lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

eastbono wrote: »
    With regard to suspected inconsistencies in payments you need to contact you local sw office. Just be aware that if a bank holiday falls within the timeframe of your claim this will not be paid by sw as you would probably have had the requisite number of hours worked in the 5 week period prior to bank holiday whereby your employer should pay you for the bank holiday. With regard to 1-2 months wait for payment after returning to work what usually happens is that all education sector workers claims are processed as a job lot. There a quite a number of education sector workers signing on for each mid term and christmas/easter breaks and its a much better use of resources doing them as a job lot.

Hi thanks for your answer. I already excluded bank hols and its still not adding up properly. I have contacted local s.w office twice about inconsistencies but nothing back. The phone goes unanswered the majority of the time. I'll have to wait until im on Easter Break before I can go in.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Will you get a midterm? Maybe drop in then.

Advertisement