Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISG on the brendan O'conner show

Options
  • 25-01-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

The Irish survivalist group are on the Brendan O'connor show tonight any one any views on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mainstream RTE media vs grown men who believe in SHTF & TEOTWAWKI scenarios, dress in camo gear and camp out in the woods? Sensationalism or an interesting and informed interview, I know where my money lies... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

EDIT: They will be on Ear to the Ground next Thursday 30th Jan also.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

they have been gaining awareness in the media recently the paper(Times) last sunday, the Ray Darcy show Thur and the Brendan O'conner show this saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/246023465562826/

if anyone is interested, there is a broad spectrum of people with the same goal/views

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Whilst I agree with people/groups that like to be prepared, I'm not sure that disclosing the fact that several members of your group possess firearms, regardless of them being licensed, and use them to hunt when they're all out on a meet up, on national TV is a good thing. On top of this, I have a general distrust of the media to portray such people generally having been a tad burnt by them myself. "Can we come out and interview you whilst taking some pics of your hens, water butts and veggies?" the Indo asked. "Yes," I agreed, thinking that it would be nice to show others how I've utilised my normal urban garden to be a somewhat self sufficient space.
    ............."PREPARING FOR THE APOCALYPSE" was the headline.

he didn't say that they all hunt together when out on a meet up as far as I'm aware. All the group respect the law and what the law says about hunting.
    I will agree with you about Media sensationalism, the guys done an interview with the times last week and were quoted as saying they have a bunker full of food, when in fact they don't, sure we'll see what 'Ear to the Ground' have to say next week.

• Advertisement

Well, proclaiming that a few of them are gun holders and that they have consumed rabbits, pheasant etc whilst out camping might suggest that they do a bit of hunting, however, I don't doubt that they do respect the law with regards to hunting, I'm not questioning that. I just feel that attracting media attention, turning up in camo and disclosing your activities to the nation might not be such a good thing given the subject material. Horses for courses I suppose, all I know is that after my experience with the media, they'll go for sensationalism before the human story side of things.

It is what it is Dan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What's the idea behind all the media exposure? They seem to be a very media hungry organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Just watched the lads on RTE player. It was interesting. Thought they did quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Just watched the lads on RTE player. It was interesting. Thought they did quite well.

Yeah have to agree they came off quite well imo. Fair play to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Think the camo gear was a bit much. In fairness its hard to take anyone seriously dressed in full dpm in a studio. I thought the interview wasnt great as no real information about the aims and goals of the group were announced. Yea they said well we prepare and train using skills just incase but it was all a little vague. The media kinda led them down their own path. And the little jib about eating the roadkill might have been out of place.

The aims and goals are somewhat expressed in their Youtube promo:

A load of other bushcraft and some hunting stuff if you check out the youtube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Agree with snakedoc; wearing DPM just puts people in mind of the odder variety of militias in isolated compounds in the USA so the useful points of the message don't get across.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I specifically avoid having any obvious military type gear in my kit because I don't want to be singled out as some sort of vigilante. To me it sends all the wrong messages. Even from a point of view of being caught up in a civilian evacuation (in say a chemical disaster or flood) then the last thing I want to do is stick out in a crowd.

It looks like the lads have a tight little group and fair play to them, however, such detailed disclosure is not my cup of tea. I suppose I have to keep in mind though that this is my own preference and perhaps they simply don't mind the glare of the media and, consequently, the eyes of the public. The Youtube video for example, gives details of the location of one of their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I think they did well. They came across imo as two lads who like to hunt and camp out. Didn't like the camo gear, but then again, I don't like suits either. Even she-who-must-be-obeyed thought they came across well, and she gets sore eyes rolling them at me sometimes. I thought the media would blast out the Apocalypse side of it a bit more but, again, imo, I thought it was a fair enough interview and the lads presented their case well.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭deegs2

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What's the idea behind all the media exposure? They seem to be a very media hungry organisation?
    They came to us...

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Agree with snakedoc; wearing DPM just puts people in mind of the odder variety of militias in isolated compounds in the USA so the useful points of the message don't get across.

regards
    Stovepipe
    we were asked/told to wear camo..I myself didn't want to go full camo, as you can see...the questions were pre arranged but It went good..so I'm happy..Frank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

deegs2 wrote: »
    we were asked/told to wear camo..I myself didn't want to go full camo, as you can see...the questions were pre arranged but It went good..so I'm happy..Frank

I guessed you were asked to wear the camo alright. Yas did well fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Had thought you were asked to wear it alright. Well done lads, again, thought yous did a good job of keeping it normal, level headed and fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I've just watched the interview on RTE player, and I thought it went very well.

For 2 guys untrained in the art of television interview techniques you passed yourselves with aplomb.

I figured the camouflage was a request to make it visually appealing to a television audience, and for Brendan to be able to use his blending in to the velvet quip.

In fairness to Brendan he also handled it very well and took the answers he was given without trying to steer the conversation in any particular direction.

Well done to the 2 guys and I am delighted to see that I'm not the only person of a certain vintage interested in this area.

I can't help thinking that Frank was secretly pleased with himself that his fire starting worked so well, as I'd imagine a live demonstration isn't the easiest thing to pull off when under lights camera action situations.

Cheers..thanks for the nice comment
    Frank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

not one of them has a bike:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

Was it a condition of the interview to wear it ? Have to admit i was worried when I saw the camo on set and thought these guys are gonna be pegged as preppers in the US . But the interview went well so glad there.
    Also does this mean you are taking on new members ?
    Well done guys.

On Spin 1038 now
    www.spin1038.com/player/

not one of them has a bike:rolleyes:
    What do we need a bike for...We have a Land rover Defender and a wench...photo.php?fbid=10203352612962374&set=gm.1448596835355940&type=1&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

What do we need a bike for...We have a Land rover Defender and a wench...photo.php?fbid=10203352612962374&set=gm.1448596835355940&type=1&theater

Which one would you be riding? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

where will the fuel come from when the s..t hits the van.
    a bike will take you to where ever you need to go.
    check out bug out bike with the swiss army.:cool:

• Advertisement

mine is the camo job

Advertisement