Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenWRT & DG834G - "no support for ADSL"

Options
  • 25-01-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I have a Netgear DG834G v4 and am looking at sticking one of the new fangled firmwares on it. According to this page - http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/dg834.v4 - it is supported.

However, it comes with this caveat . . .
    "There is NO support for the ADSL modem currently!"

Does this mean that there's no driver for it (as in . . . the device will boot, but the ADSL/WAN won't work at all, at all, at all), or there's just no support, so if something weird happens you are on your own, but if nothing weird happens then you are online?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

It usually means that the code for whatever chip the ADSL used has not been released under the open-source agreement, so they have left it out of the build.

Some people have had success writing a script to bring up the ADSL connection on the devices, but I found them useless and unreliable.

So to answer your question, it will most likely NOT work with ADSL out of the box. I just got a cheapy eircom ADSL router, bridged it, then connected through the PPPoE option on my open-wrt router. Works perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I just had a look at the spec page for that router, it only has 4mb flash memory. It is going to be pretty tight if you need to install any of the packages with open-wrt, and it may lead to stability issues.

Advertisement