Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adding an Aux input to a ford stereo

Options
  • 25-01-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering if it's possible to wire up an aux input (3.5mm jack) to my 2002 ford focus stereo, so I can plug in an external music player (ie my phone)

It has a 6 CD changer attached and some sites say that you can use the input for this. I have found a lot of american sites saying that you can install an FM transmitter but I'd like to know if there is a simpler way, or has anyone actually done this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissednbroke

Yep you can definitely get it for the mk2 focus I just did with mine last week.

Used this cable from amazon.co.uk about €14 delivered via parcel motel http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-suitable-onwards-Aux-In-Fiesta/dp/B006PEXH3W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390775499&sr=1-1&keywords=AUX+Adapter+suitable+for+FORD+cars+from+2004+onwards+with+Aux-In+in+Radio%2C+e.g.+Focus%2C+Fiesta%2C+Mondeo%2C+Ka%2C+Galaxy

Along with radio removal keys which can be picked up fairly cheap.

You will probably have to disconnect the cd changer though as i think the cable uses that port.

Fairly handy job for a competent DIY-er about 10-15 mins if you watch a youtube video.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Yep you can definitely get it for the mk2 focus I just did with mine last week.

Used this cable from amazon.co.uk about €14 delivered via parcel motel http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-suitable-onwards-Aux-In-Fiesta/dp/B006PEXH3W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390775499&sr=1-1&keywords=AUX+Adapter+suitable+for+FORD+cars+from+2004+onwards+with+Aux-In+in+Radio%2C+e.g.+Focus%2C+Fiesta%2C+Mondeo%2C+Ka%2C+Galaxy

Along with radio removal keys which can be picked up fairly cheap.

You will probably have to disconnect the cd changer though as i think the cable uses that port.

Fairly handy job for a competent DIY-er about 10-15 mins if you watch a youtube video.

Is my 2002 focus a mk2? I thought it was mk1. Says on amazon that it's suitable for 2004 onwards, but maybe that's just because they have a aux in button...
    ford_6000-cd-rds-eon_6000ne_ys4f-18c815_fd600a-jpg.159288
    is what the stereo looks like. Do you reckon I could just plug out the CD changer and replace it with that adaptor? And if I press CD twice it will play the adaptor thinking it's the CD changer? (There is no aux button like there is on the newer ones) that would be great.

I read about those before and some sites said that you might have to power the amp that sends the signal, ie a phone wouldn't work through it. Anyway for €14 it's worth a go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Your car is mk1. That above linked adapter won't work as it's for the cd6000 in the newer mk2 focus which have an aux in button. I fitted the same lead to my focus mk2 but it's a different radio to yours. I'm not sure what you would use with that radio but that lead for 14 euro won't work on A mk1.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Your car is mk1. That above linked adapter won't work as it's for the cd6000 in the newer mk2 focus which have an aux in button. I fitted the same lead to my focus mk2 but it's a different radio to yours. I'm not sure what you would use with that radio but that lead for 14 euro won't work on A mk1.

Ok thanks for that. Surely though..there must be a way of making it fit!!!!

Sorry about that as the radio has the same model no 6000cd i assumed it was the same anyways check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4y_XucIGLI

Don't think you can put in an aux cable like the mk2.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that as the radio has the same model no 6000cd i assumed it was the same anyways check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4y_XucIGLI

Don't think you can put in an aux cable like the mk2.

No hassle. I read about the FM modulator all right but they cost more than a new stereo...

I found this yoke which seems a bit cheaper...

The other option is to sell my stereo, buy a new one with an aux in, and put the 14 euro connector into that.

Please note: This item is NOT compatible with stereos that have the 6 CD Player built into the stereo.

Just seen the above part in the product display, maybe mail them first to check, otherwise if its an IPhone you have you could use something like this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003KJ7DEO?psc=1

or this

http://www.syncron.ie/FM_TRANSMITTER_CAR_CHARGER_FOR_iPHONE_4_3GS_3G_p/81.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

No hassle. I read about the FM modulator all right but they cost more than a new stereo...

I found this yoke which seems a bit cheaper...

The other option is to sell my stereo, buy a new one with an aux in, and put the 14 euro connector into that.

That box is what you're looking for, I've put one in instead of a CD changer on my last two cars. Very good sound quality for a standard stereo, noticeably better than an FM transmitter going for the same money.

You can change the stereo, but don't forget yours is a double DIN, so changing to an aftermarket will mean putting in a fascia adaptor. Personally I hate the look of double to single DIN adaptors, and an OEM stereo nearly always looks the best in the dash.

That box is what you're looking for, I've put one in instead of a CD changer on my last two cars. Very good sound quality for a standard stereo, noticeably better than an FM transmitter going for the same money.

You can change the stereo, but don't forget yours is a double DIN, so changing to an aftermarket will mean putting in a fascia adaptor. Personally I hate the look of double to single DIN adaptors, and an OEM stereo nearly always looks the best in the dash.

Did you buy the box online? it's working out at around 60 Euro after delivery. Pretty expensive for what it is. But I suppose what it's worth to me that determines the real value. I really hate CDs!

If I was replacing it with a stereo I'd buy a second hand ford stereo with an aux in button then buy the 14 Euro cable.

I already have an aftermarket stereo that I took from my last car but as you said I'd have to buy the fascia thing, plus an adaptor, plus I'd lose the steering wheel control.

Is it not possible to simply MacGyver a 3.5mm jack into the input for your CD changer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

I did, mine was €37 including delivery from caraudioni.com who seem to have closed shop since. If you have a look around you'll definitely find it cheaper than €60, even Amazon have it at €35 with free UK delivery, so €38.50 with parcel motel. If you shop around you could probably beat that further.

The Ford aux-in radios are from the mk2, which look like this:

FocusMK2Stereo.jpg

I'm not sure they'd fit in a mk1. It would stick out even it mounted in, as the mk2 dash has a curve to it.

It's not possible to simply connect to the CD changer, they use a data bus for communication rather than a simple RCA cable. The connects2 box (or whatever one you find) emulates a CD changer. If you're adventurous with a soldering iron and wanting a MacGyver solution, you could dismantle the radio and solder an RCA cable onto the line level feed from the CD deck. Then insert a CD with a single blank track and plug your device into the RCA cable. I've done it (incidentally on a mk1 Focus also) with a tape deck but the idea would be the same for a CD deck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

Sorry to bring up an old topic. I'm looking to do something similar with a 2007 Ford Focus MK2 by adding a USB & Aux adaptor to the dash beside the window heater in the picture.

FocusMK2Stereo.jpg

I have been looking online and have found something which would do the job. It has a USB Type B connection. From the pictures of how to install it looks as this USB goes into the back of the Radio. Im not sure if there is a USB slot at the back of the radio, can anyone confirm that?

See the picture below what I trying to add, you can also see the USB type.

If there isnt a USB port on the radio does anyone have an alternative way of fitting a USB & AUX adapter without losing other functions of the radio?

Refitting-Cd-Dvd-Players-Usb-Interface-Modification-Panel-with-Usb-port-and-Aux-Output-for-Ford.jpg

Advertisement