Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith's Valuation

Options
  • 25-01-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi

So my family is listed on the Griffith's and another family (same surname) near by which we can presume can from the same family, possibly brothers or cousins.

Then in the same area another two of the same name pop up in the 1901 census. Is it possible that the two new ones came from our family listed in 1847?

Seems strange that two families come up in 50 years. I overlooked this before, I presumed these two new families were there in the Griffith's but they weren't.

Not a very common surname and all RC. No one can give a definitive answer to this but has anyone else come across this?

Just to add my side says there is no connection and on the other they say there is, from DNA testing we know others in the county are related so there's a good 90% chance we are.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Never assume, especially in genealogy. I did that in my early days of family research but I was so often wrong.

However, it is a good idea, IMO, to keep a record of those neighbours and those in the census, it might lead to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I agree with odds_on: don't assume.

It seems quite possible that the 1901 families are linked to the 1847 ones. You can check possible linkages using baptism records, birth records, or land occupation records held in the Valuation Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Can you provide a link?

Map references can tell if there is a leasing relationship (if any) and the use of any agnomens can indicate a relationship.

Advertisement