Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History essay tips

Options
  • 25-01-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi. I'm looking for advice on leaving cert history essays. We have one each weekend and I never get below 90%. For example last week on Interwar Britain I got cm-78-60 and O.E 31. I was wondering how to bring up the overall evaluation mark. Also I get good marks (10 and 11's) on my paragraphs but I only ever seem to get 6 on both my introduction and conclusion. Any tips on how to improve. Also what length should they be? Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

marko747 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking for advice on leaving cert history essays. We have one each weekend and I never get below 90%. For example last week on Interwar Britain I got cm-78-60 and O.E 31. I was wondering how to bring up the overall evaluation mark. Also I get good marks (10 and 11's) on my paragraphs but I only ever seem to get 6 on both my introduction and conclusion. Any tips on how to improve. Also what length should they be? Thanks ;)

Wow i could never get more than 8 on a paragraph. What can bring up your OE is if you put in a quote or two from historians or from newspapers at the tíme.
    Also, avoid unnecessary padding i.e. bull**** and if you've a good standard of english you'll ace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 megaanmaxwell

You must have amazing paragraphs! To bring up the OE, stick to the point you're making, don't waffle on about something irrelevant. For HL, the essays should be 1200-1500 words which is about 4 pages. Also, bringing in nice quotes helps a lot too!
    I'm the same, i usually get really good scores in my essays, its just learning them is the hassle!
    Good luck! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Keep referring back to the question you were asked, to show that you are answering the question asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭icanplaydrums

As far as conclusions go, my teachers also say to refer to the future, try end with a quote and don't just summarise what you've said. Sorry if this seems obvious just thought I'd chip in!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭marko747

Hey! Thanks for all your advice! Do you have any tips on where to get good quotes? Any quotes my teacher gave me are long winded and hard to make sense of. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Answering the question is the biggest factor for OE. Try give some historical opinion eg when assessing the failures of Johnson's presidency, spell out the reasons why he failed and then suggest what he should've done. Ordering your information also brings the OE up, don't just throw random information or facts in, make sure they are relevant to the paragraph you are writing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Student007

Anyone have any handy links to some sample history essays, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭icanplaydrums

There should be some in your book. If you need extra you can always google the person or the topic the essays about with quotes after it and loads will come up.

Advertisement