Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant just a few weeks after miscarriage

Options
  • 25-01-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I lost my baby in December and have felt so sad and angry since. That was 7 weeks ago and this week I discovered I am pregnant again which has really left me speechless. There is really only 3 times in the last 7 weeks that this could have happened as I obviously wasn't feeling back to normal so soon after the miscarriage.

I have been to my doctor to monitor my hcg levels this time thankfully but in the mean time can anyone offer words of encouragement to me? The reason I tested was because of extremely painful boobs. This was my first symptom the last time too and faded off. Yesterday and today my boobs hardly feel sore at all so now I'm thinking in my head that maybe it's all over again already. It's been so soon since I lost my baby that I just don't know what to think or feel and every little twinge, ache or lack of tenderness is making me feel hopeless.
    I know symptoms come and go but how can it be that one night I can barely sleep with the pain and the following morning I feel barely any discomfort? I am very scared. I haven't even told my partner that I am pregnant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

First and foremost congratulations! It is perfectly natural to feel apprehensive and anxious but you have to remember that the VAST majority of women who go through the trauma of a miscarriage go on to have perfectly healthy little babies. Sure, there are no guarantees but with each day that goes by, your chances of hanging on improve. Do you know how far along you are? Please also remember symptoms change on a daily basis, I'm fourteen weeks and have had beach ball boobs from day one but also have days of respite so just because symptoms are less severe at times is not a definitive indicator that all is not well.I really really hope things work out for you this time and I really think you should tell your partner, his support right now will be invaluable xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I am in the same boat but at the other end- three weeks to go! I too was totally taken aback by both pregnancies. I found the second time around a bit of a head fcuk as I felt like I was still grieving. I don't know how spiritual/religious you are but I found comfort in the thought that my child's spirit was determined to be born. I also read (really hope this doesn't constitute medical advice, mods feel free to delete if necessary) that a lot of early mc are a result of the foetus not being viable/developmentally normal, and that apparently there is a fertility spike in the first ovulation after mc and a greater than average chance of the baby carrying healthily to term. For this reason some practitioners are advising women ttc to try again straight away after mc rather than waiting, even though this might be psychologically easier.

Is it your first child, op? It's really normal to feel apprehensive and conflicted, it's a huge change in your lives, but you have nine months to get your head around it. Try to relax, share the news with your partner and give yourself permission to be excited and happy- congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you so much for posting Merkin and Rosy Posy. Since I can't tell anybody yet it is a great outlet to be able to type about it and actually read a response from real people who understand what I am feeling.

I want nothing more than to tell everybody and be excited and confident that I will give birth to a healthy happy baby in 8 months but the fear of miscarriage is crippling. I have a crampy feeling but I suffer badly with IBS so I think I'm over reacting about these pains and thinking it's sinister. I keep running to the loo to check for blood. Sorry if it's TMI but I seem to have an increase in CM during early pregnancy and when I feel that I think it must be blood and run to the toilet to check. I have talked to my doctor about these concerns and she rightly said that there is no way to control what will happen and that all I can do is take each day as it comes.

I guess I have no positive experience of pregnancy to try focus on. My last experience of this ended in a horrible, heartbreaking loss only 7 weeks ago. Mentally my mind can't imagine the joy of seeing a heartbeat and growing a big bump and feeling the baby move and wriggle! But I SO want this to happen. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the response girls. It helps as I can't tell anyone about this pregnancy yet. I'm really freaked out this morning because I had a horrible dream lastnight. I had a miscarriage in the dream and had this tiny baby in my hand that wasn't fully dead. Impossible I know but it really, really messed my head up.
    Having a previous miscarriage really does take all the innocence away.

I have a scan next week and the nearer the day comes the more intense my anxiety is becoming. I'd actually do anything to have this baby be healthy and make it!

Advertisement