Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call the 00's and 10's??

Options
  • 25-01-2014 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Interesting question. At least the 90s were the ninenties but what are the 00s? People say "that so noughties" but that just sounds cr*p. As a decade culturally the 00s had absolutely no definition. Music was just a remix of music from decades with an actual defining sound. It's the same in the '10's. But honestly what do you call these decades?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

The past

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Blinkfrog

Interesting question. At least the 90s were the ninenties but what are the 00s? People say "that so noughties" but that just sounds cr*p. As a decade culturally the 00s had absolutely no definition. Music was just a remix of music from decades with an actual defining sound. It's the same in the '10's. But honestly what do you call these decades?

The zeros and the tens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Admiral Steelhammer

I also say the zeros and tens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

The 2's. 2 1 :-[ , 2 9 :-[ , 2 14 :-[ etc

Make this :-[ face aswell and try to sound depressed & dreary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The noughties and haven't ever had to refer to the current years that way but 'current' or 'now' should cover it if I ever need to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

The two-thousands and the two-thousand and tens.

CJC999 wrote: »
    The noughties and haven't ever had to refer to the current years that way but 'current' or 'now' should cover it if I ever need to

Why do you say the noughties?

Therr is no such number as noughty.

1920's is the twenties.
    1930's is the thirties.
    1940's is the forties.
    1950's is the fifties.
    1960's is the sixties.
    1970's is the seventies.
    1980's is the eighies
    1990's is the nineties.
    2000's is the zero's.
    2010's is the tens.

Nice and consistent. The noughties just makes no sense.

So when I open up my Retrospective bar next year it will be called the zero's bar. And next decade I'll open up a ten's bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

1920's is the twenties.
    1930's is the thirties.
    1940's is the forties.
    1950's is the fifties.
    1960's is the sixties.
    1970's is the seventies.
    1980's is the eighies
    1990's is the nineties.
    2000's is the zero's.
    2010's is the tens.

So when I open up my Retrospective bar next year it will be called the zero's bar. And next decade I'll open up a ten's bar.

That's not consistent, they should all end in -ies.

-naughties
    -teenies??

Filibuster wrote: »
    That's not consistent, they should all end in -ies.

-naughties
    -teenies??

No they shouldn't end in ies. The name of the decade is the number that the last two digits make.

So the 1930's is the 30's, the 1990's is the 90's. The 2000's is the 00's. So you could call that the zeros or the naughts, but naughties makes no sense. And likewise the 2010's is the 10's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

It took me years to realise noughties was named after the the decade number being 0. I thought it was somehow because all the young people like myself were having loads of dirty sex!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No they shouldn't end in ies. The name of the decade is the number that the last two digits make.

So the 1930's is the 30's, the 1990's is the 90's. The 2000's is the 00's. So you could call that the zeros or the naughts, but naughties makes no sense. And likewise the 2010's is the 10's.

You spelt it correctly the first time. Nought, not naught = 0. Therefore your argument is invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

1920's is the twenties.
    1930's is the thirties.
    1940's is the forties.
    1950's is the fifties.
    1960's is the sixties.
    1970's is the seventies.
    1980's is the eighies
    1990's is the nineties.
    2000's is the zero's.
    2010's is the tens.

It makes perfect sense. Naught means zero, 'the zero's' sounds inconsistent and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I've noticed that past decades always become fashionable again roughly 25 years later. I'm waiting on a 90s revival to happen very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

It's called a double entendre (barely)

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I've noticed that past decades always become fashionable again roughly 25 years later. I'm waiting on a 90s revival to happen very soon.

The 90s was the gayest and most cringeworthy decade possibly of all time. Lock that fùcker up for good!

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense. Naught means zero, 'the zero's' sounds inconsistent and worse.

Yes naught means zero but naughty doesn't mean zero.

The zeros would sound perfectly normal if it was widely accepted as the term to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The 90s was the gayest and most cringeworthy decade possibly of all time. Lock that fùcker up for good!

The 90's were the best decade ever. It's the 80's that should be locked up if anything.

Suas11 wrote: »
    The 90's were the best decade ever. It's the 80's that should be locked up if anything.

Just out of curiosity were you born in the 80s? I was born in 94 so I really only remember the tail end and I really grew up from the 00s until now, so when I look back to then I just think it's cringy.

It'd say people born in 2010 onwards will say the same about the naughties and now looking back because they didn't really grow up in it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Just out of curiosity were you born in the 80s? I was born in 94 so I really only remember the tail end and I really grew up from the 00s until now, so when I look back to then I just think it's cringy.

It'd say people born in 2010 onwards will say the same about the naughties and now looking back because they didn't really grow up in it :P

I was born in 89. The fact that I grew up in the 90's is probably why I like it so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

the noughties sounds like some sort of euphemism for a piss- up abroad with lots of sluts and coke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Andy-Pandy wrote: »

Are you serious? Look around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Katgurl wrote: »
    Are you serious? Look around

Omg, we have the same amount of posts. This is crazy.

Edit: Not anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

The naughty teens? Er, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The 00's = "a big blur"
    The 10's = "a big disappointment"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

1900-1909 were the nineteen hundreds
    1910-1919 were the nineteen tens

2000-2009 were the two thousands
    2010-2019 are the Twenty tens

Simple. But who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

preferred the swinging 1760s to be honest. Got some nice thai hookers with the east india company and I traded my house for a gram of salt.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

2000-2009 = The Noughties
    2010-2019 = The Teens

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

The Noughties and the Twenty-tenties :)

Advertisement