Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thirteen units of Dublin Fire Brigade battling blaze

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭older i get better i was

very good question, ask some of your public reps about the cutbacks in the fire service. Ordinary folk delighted to see cutbacks in local authorities and public services untill they need them, then the penny drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

There was also 9 trucks on fire at a yard on Robinhood Rd overnight aswell. If it was 9 bin trucks..... Well you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭alentejo

very good question, ask some of your public reps about the cutbacks in the fire service. Ordinary folk delighted to see cutbacks in local authorities and public services untill they need them, then the penny drops.

As far as I am aware, DFB still has a the same number of frontline Water Tenders as it did at the start of the recession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

alentejo wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, DFB still has a the same number of frontline Water Tenders as it did at the start of the recession

Hmmmm

And what date would you consider that the recession started?

I ask the question because in 2007 we lost one motor when D221 (Malahide) closed and wasn't replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭alentejo

dfbemt wrote: »
    Hmmmm

And what date would you consider that the recession started?

I ask the question because in 2007 we lost one motor when D221 (Malahide) closed and wasn't replaced.

Recession started in 2008.
    You are correct that Malahide did close as a retained station in 2007 however Swords did become fulltime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

If there was another major fire, DFB could call on the civil defence auxiliary for service.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

sligolad1 wrote: »
    If there was another major fire, DFB could call on the civil defence auxiliary for service.

they were called. the cd welfare service was in attendence.
    afs arent trained in b.a and confined/compartment fire fighting from what ive seen.
    not sure how useful they'd be except maybe water tanker supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

they were called. the cd welfare service was in attendence.
    afs arent trained in b.a and confined/compartment fire fighting from what ive seen.
    not sure how useful they'd be except maybe water tanker supply?

Has heard alright that CD welfare was called but IMO they should have bigger role at large scale emergencies like that. Even if they aren't trained in BA etc I'd say there are other jobs that dfb are currently doing that they could do! And besides, they probably need some real incident experience as I haven't heard them being called into action much!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

alentejo wrote: »
    Recession started in 2008.
    You are correct that Malahide did close as a retained station in 2007 however Swords did become fulltime.

Your original point was about number of frontline appliances. Fulltime or retained, doesnt matter. Malahide retained station closed, Swords retained station became Fulltime. Therefore, the number of frontline appliances decreased by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DFBLT

sligolad1 wrote: »

Not at all. DFB only use AFS for assistance in flooding or for access in extreme weather using their Hagglund tracked vehicle. Civil Defence welfare services were used for a short period at the Ballymount fire. Whilst AFS volunteers give of their time freely and without reward their training is extremely basic and their equipment and PPE is unreliable so they cannot be used in fire situations. Anyway would you want to wait 4 hours for a fire engine to arrive ? Thats how long it takes to mobilise a voluntary AFS unit. After all they have jobs and a life outside the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Just chiming in on this. I saw Waterford Civil Defense attend a few fires in Waterford city in the past along side the fire brigade.

Any idea what they'd be doing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DFBLT

No idea about Waterford I'm afraid. As every county runs it's fire service whatever way they like, it's quite possible that Waterford use CD at fires. If they do, it's solely down to the fact that they don't want to turn out their own personnel as they would have to be paid, so instead abuse a voluntary service which, through no fault of their own are not trained to the same standard.

Advertisement