Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actress - Ghettoville

Options
  • 25-01-2014 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭

It's released early on Spotify it seems.

10891-ghettoville.jpg

Actress – Ghettoville

Darren Cunningham has said it's his final Actress album. Unknown whether he'll move onto new stuff as another name.

Took me a while to get into this, adore all of his other stuff, slow start but man, the second half is brilliant. Amazing span of genres, deconstruction, totally in his style. Anyone interested/listen to it yet? Want to get opinions on this one, I'd say it's his most challenging work yet.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Forgot this was on the way, defo pick it up now next week - plus reminds me to dig out his other albums in preparation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Forgot this was on the way, defo pick it up now next week - plus reminds me to dig out his other albums in preparation!

They're all outstanding. Don't start on R.I.P though, its on another level but more difficult to start on.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Cydoniac wrote: »
    They're all outstanding. Don't start on R.I.P though, its on another level but more difficult to start on.

Yeah I picked up both pretty much when they came out... went to look for them to listen to tonight but can't find 'Splazsh' anywhere (CD's in a mess right now... even genres are all mixed up :eek: ) so R.I.P. in the queue. Never managed to pick up 'Hazyville' actually but I think that's being reissued.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Will definitely have to dedicate some time to this at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Listened to it for the first time on Spotify today. Kind of in mixed minds. It definitely has the Actress aesthetic but it's very stripped down and minimal in nature. It's more textural than melodic and that kind of music usually warrants multiple listens so I won't reserve too much judgement just yet.

It nearly has the same number of tracks as RIP, where I thought each track had a different idea behind it. I can't really distinguish each track from the other so much with this one however. Most tracks seem to have the same overall tone to a degree.

I think there in general less ideas on this album than some of his other work. It could be the last one for a reason :P Still, it's worth a listen and certainly fits the Actress 'mood' well but it's not his best in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Has anybody else got this on vinyl? I've been playing this entire record at 45 rpm and I am totally convinced this is the correct speed for this LP! Either that or Darren Cunningham is a total genius and wrote these tracks to be played at both speeds maybe? Playing at 45 turns the whole thing into a techno booty shaking masterpiece! If anyone else has this on vinyl could they give it a go and listen to what they think?
    I cant stop listening to 'Rule' at this speed, it transforms the tune into crazy breakbeat party anthem

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

So nobody has this on record to try and check it out for themselves? :) Ah well, I'll still continue to enjoy and listen to this at 45, I still think its the correct speed, its less sludgy, the bass sounds roll true and you can hear definite footwork influences from the footwork tracks Actress has been playing in his DJ sets.

Here is an example - this is the digital and CD Version of 'Our'

And here it is at 45rpm

Advertisement