Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D3 Tolka River Divide

Options
  • 25-01-2014 3:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at houses around Fairview. I know this is typical Dublin, walk 100m and you go from niceish area to downtown Mogadishu but it seems particularly pronounced around Ballybough.

I've walked around the Croke Park area and I realise it's not a great area but you go from €250,000 (min) for a 3 bed in Fairview to 5 beds under €200K. Is 400m (measured it!) is there actually that much of a difference?

I'd be very interested in people's views of the area. Can I ask one thing? I'm a working class lad I'm quite happy around the Thomas Street D8, Smithfield/Quays area. If you live in South County Dublin kudos to you! Probably a nice 500K+ house you have there and well done on your success! Please don't comment if you're not aware of the area. Far too many of these threads get turned into a Northside, Southside pissing contest and that's not my intention. That said if you've a genuine negative experience please do post it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You obviously know that you are entering a minefield posting on a matter like this. I suggest that your reference Mogadishu was unfortunate.

There are lots of boundaries in Dublin, most of them invisible and unascertainable without good local knowledge. I knew a house in Dublin occupied four young women. They knew there was one fairly safe route to walk the 1.5 km to College Green and that any deviation involved more risk than they would be willing to take.

Some people who might make undesirable neighbours seem to have their "territories". Live among them, and you have to suffer them; live just outside their patch, and you have little or no problem with them.

For some reason, water courses are often territorial boundaries. That includes the Liffey. Without getting into the northside/southside pissing contest, I have observed that the long-established communities very close to the Liffey have relatively few links to one another.

The Tolka, the two canals, the Dodder to a lesser extent, and even the Poddle in places, define boundaries. Speaking for myself, I am aware of some locations where I would feel comfortable while only the width of a watercourse away I would not.

Those boundaries can be inferred, as you have found, from property prices. You can find similar properties at vastly different prices only a short distance from one another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Bepolite wrote: »
    I've been looking at houses around Fairview. I know this is typical Dublin, walk 100m and you go from niceish area to downtown Mogadishu but it seems particularly pronounced around Ballybough.

I've walked around the Croke Park area and I realise it's not a great area but you go from €250,000 (min) for a 3 bed in Fairview to 5 beds under €200K. Is 400m (measured it!) is there actually that much of a difference?

I'd be very interested in people's views of the area. Can I ask one thing? I'm a working class lad I'm quite happy around the Thomas Street D8, Smithfield/Quays area. If you live in South County Dublin kudos to you! Probably a nice 500K+ house you have there and well done on your success! Please don't comment if you're not aware of the area. Far too many of these threads get turned into a Northside, Southside pissing contest and that's not my intention. That said if you've a genuine negative experience please do post it.

I lived on Russell St for a few years (between Jones Road and Drumcondra road) It was amazing the different environment you would enter depending on whether I turned right or left as I went out. Right and I was on Drumcondra Road, beginning of a nice suburban area with clean pubs, selection of shops etc. Turn left and down to Ballybough where you would immediately be on guard. Having said that it was many the night I walked up from the North Strand and never had a problem but I would always keep to the main thoroughfares

Advertisement