Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay full price on online adds?

Options
  • 25-01-2014 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Im looking at various premises online. Im thinking of moving my business to somewhere bigger.

In the odd advertisement they say rent is negotiable. But in the majority of cases they give a solid figure and stand by it.

Im just wondering, do Irish landlords put them high with the expectation of been bargained down?

Or am I just waste my time and credit making phone calls to places that don't have the "rent negotiable" tag.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depends on where in the country you are more than anything else. There are areas where there is very limited commercial property, including retail sometimes; but if that's not the case pretty much any advertised rent is very much negotiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You're not wasting time at all ringing places that don't have negotiable in the ad, everything is negotiable in commercial leases, even including responsibility for repairs, cleaning, etc. Landlords will think you're a fool if you don't try to negotiate as they e factored this into the price somewhat. However it's best not to get into negotiation over the phone, face to face after viewing a premises is a better time to talk discounts.

Try laying your hands on the most recent report on commercial space, I forget the agency that issues it, it's one of the big firms I think either CBRE or Jones Laing LaSalle. the last report came out a few months back and said that around 17% of Dublin office space is lying empty. Landlords themselves know that but it's important you go into any negotiation with them armed with local market knowledge. Rent free periods at the beginning of the lease are not unusual as a sweetener but your ability to negotiate one is dependant on a few variables such as location, local demand and the length of lease you're willing to commit to. The landlord knowing that you run a successful business who are around for the long haul also gives you bargaining power.
    Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

Well Im glad to hear that. I mentioned getting a discount to one potential landlord and he looked at me like I just wasted his time and told me he advertised at the price he plans on leasing it for, if he had of wanted less he would have advertised it for less. It was a bit embarrassing to be honest, and I didn't want to make the same mistake twice. Maybe he was just having a bad day or something.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nothing to be embarrassed about there - if he's not rented it in a month's time he's probably lost more on the vacancy than he would have by letting it to you.

Advertisement