Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

land opp. entrance to city square car park

Options
  • 24-01-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

Anybody any idea whats happening with the land opp. Entrance to city square car park
    The hoarding is all down and diggers are in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

robtri wrote: »
    Anybody any idea whats happening with the land opp. Entrance to city square car park
    The hoarding is all down and diggers are in?

Carpark according to the Waterford City Center Fb page

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Rumour has it its were Bertie and Biffo buried all the countries money. so fingers crossed they find something.

Alternatively it may be paved over and to be used a car park for the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Carpark run by who?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Carpark run by who?

Don't know who will run it but planning application provides info on whom the applicant is.

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=12139&LASiteID=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Gonna be a nightmare coming out of city square car park on a saturday when its busy! large volume of cars in that area and surrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

People have been screaming for an alternative to City Square's high parking prices, so if this new one undercuts them, they could make a killing.

Who knows, the owner of City Square's car park might even do the unthinkable and lower their prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

They will charge the same as city square. If they undercut it will just be a race to the bottom and they both lose. Id imagine they are smarter than that. The rip off will continue.

"use of a vacant site as a temporary car park for a 5 year period together with boundary treatment and associated works."

Also seems to be owned by this crowd http://www.parkergreen.com/ so maybe there is plans to see if the area picks up and builds a new Shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dlnv27

ParkerGreen also own the playing fields out at old Waterford Crystal Centre which they recently were refused planning permission for an outlet centre. Not sure whether he is still there but I think the famous Bertie Ahern was on their board at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 foobally

How many carparks is that now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

foobally wrote: »
    How many carparks is that now?

Waterford has too many car parks and they're too cheap, how can kilkenny survive?

They will charge the same as city square. If they undercut it will just be a race to the bottom and they both lose. Id imagine they are smarter than that. The rip off will continue.

Word is €4 per day with space for 50 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Kahless wrote: »
    Word is €4 per day with space for 50 cars.

Unless your figures are incorrect, that's €200 in turnover a day. It's a sad state of affairs if a prime site in our city centre can only offer that. I don't know the figures, but I would presume even a relatively small shop in the city centre would turn over multiples of that in a day (whatever about their profit).

Turnover like that would barely cover a single employee on minimum wage. What about rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

fricatus wrote: »
    Unless your figures are incorrect, that's €200 in turnover a day. It's a sad state of affairs if a prime site in our city centre can only offer that. I don't know the figures, but I would presume even a relatively small shop in the city centre would turn over multiples of that in a day (whatever about their profit).

Turnover like that would barely cover a single employee on minimum wage. What about rates?

Have to agree, I also did the calculations and was thinking wow thats not much is it. I presume they will have to have someone employed to service the carpark or maybe a company, insurance, city rates, etc etc.

Aren't one or two down the quay €5 per day? They seem to manage. And having space for 50 cars doesn't limit it to only 50 per day. People come and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think the idea is more to clear the site and use the car park as a security measure. It may make the exchange look like a better investment when it comes onto the market.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think the idea is more to clear the site and use the car park as a security measure. It may make the exchange look like a better investment when it comes onto the market.

Well that makes a bit more sense. Buying it in isolation and running a car park at those rates seemed unlikely, but if the aim is to open up another site or make a nearby site look more cared for, then that's something worth spending money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Same owner afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Would make a good venue for some spraoi gigs this year

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Would make a good venue for some spraoi gigs this year

Maybe Joni Mitchell could come and sing 'Big Yellow Taxi' ; "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot".:-)

• Advertisement

Maybe Joni Mitchell could come and sing 'Big Yellow Taxi' ; "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot".:-)

That site is hardly "paradise" now, is it? Except for the cats that got fed by that old lady who was always down there! :D

Advertisement