Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding excavation reports

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The organisation to which the author is (or was) attached is one approach, contacting the author directly is usually the best though.
    Other excavations are published under the auspices of various institutions such as the Royal Society of Antiquaries and the NRA. The Journal of Irish Archaeology is a great resource and the magazine Irish Archaeology often has reports though not often excavation led. There are I'm sure many other sources I'm forgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

Thanks for the help

i'm surprised there is no central organisation that holds most of the countries excavation reports.

have contacted the organisation and the person listed as conducting the excavation.

Hopefully they will get back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Thanks for the help

i'm surprised there is no central organisation that holds most of the countries excavation reports.

have contacted the organisation and the person listed as conducting the excavation.

Hopefully they will get back.
    Contact the duty officer at the National Museum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

Under the conditions of an Archaeological Excavation Licence the director of an excavation must submit a preliminary report, followed by a final report to the National Monuments Service and the National Museum of Ireland. Now for various reasons this doesn't always happen, but a great many do get sent in and National Monuments is where I would start, especially if you can't track down the author of a particular report. If you can find the author, they will probably be the quickest route to what you are looking for, but be aware that if you are seeking older reports they may only exist in hard copy and while you may be able to access them you won't necessarily be able to get a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Hi everyone

I am looking to find a few excavation reports

I have found summaries of them on excavations.ie (such as these two http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=&County=Kerry&id=2653

http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=&County=Cork&id=21420

but I don't know where to find the full reports with all the excavation details.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Durz0

The first site you linked to was published fully in book form by the author - here is a link to the book on abebooks.com but it is also available in many libraries. Publications such as this would generally be considered to be the definitive statement on the site and would supersede any earlier unpublished excavation reports lodged with the relevant authorities.

The second site you mention is published in the Spring 2012 edition of Archaeology Ireland, though in this case a fuller, more academic publication is likely to appear in due course - Archaeology Ireland articles are often interim statements rather than definitive accounts of the sites examined.

• Advertisement

mocmo wrote: »
    Under the conditions of an Archaeological Excavation Licence the director of an excavation must submit a preliminary report, followed by a final report to the National Monuments Service and the National Museum of Ireland. Now for various reasons this doesn't always happen, but a great many do get sent in and National Monuments is where I would start, especially if you can't track down the author of a particular report. If you can find the author, they will probably be the quickest route to what you are looking for, but be aware that if you are seeking older reports they may only exist in hard copy and while you may be able to access them you won't necessarily be able to get a copy.
    Send me a pm if you need a name from the NMS.
    The first site you linked to was published fully in book form by the author - here is a link to the book on abebooks.com but it is also available in many libraries. Publications such as this would generally be considered to be the definitive statement on the site and would supersede any earlier unpublished excavation reports lodged with the relevant authorities.

The second site you mention is published in the Spring 2012 edition of Archaeology Ireland, though in this case a fuller, more academic publication is likely to appear in due course - Archaeology Ireland articles are often interim statements rather than definitive accounts of the sites examined.
    I have found this author to be very helpful and approachable in the past. I'm not so sure the chalcolithic is his thing at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

The National Monuments Service and the NMI both hold copies of every report submitted in fulfilment of the relevant licence conditions. These are available for public viewing on request (Mondays only at NMI - not sure about Nat Mons), and with prior notice. The local authority planning department in each case, should also be able to furnish you with a copy to peruse, with prior notice.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

Thanks everyone, I managed to find what I need

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Aelfric wrote: »
    The local authority planning department in each case, should also be able to furnish you with a copy to peruse, with prior notice.

Very unlikely, except in the case of reports submitted as part of quite recent planning compliance. Due to storage costs many local authorities pulp the numerous copies of archaeological reports they require and receive after only a couple of years. National Monuments, the National Museum or the company/individual archaeologist involved are definitely your best bet. Lots of companies and individuals have PDF copies of selected (i.e. interesting) reports available through their websites, and National Monuments is almost certainly somewhere in the middle on one of its eternal digitising-absolutely-everything schemes that never seem to make it to completion as their resources shrink year by year...

Advertisement