If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Irish-American returning home - planning chances on site in west county Dublin?

  • 24-01-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I'm considering moving to Ireland from the states. I inherited a one acre site in a rural part of West County Dublin (Athgoe, near Newcastle). The site is sandwiched between a farm on one side and a bungalow on the other. There is a fair houses along the road it occupies, although the area is basically rural/agricultural and I believe has been zoned as such.

    What do you think my chances of getting permission to build a home would be? I looked into it several years back and at the time the guidelines seemed to indicate that permission was rarely granted for locations such as this as unless you had roots in the area. Anyone know if this is true or if planning applications are dealt with more liberally these days?



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

    It is very difficult to build a house in rural Ireland as one needs to establish a local need to do so. You also need to establish that the site is suitable for the provision of a sewage treatment installation. Now if the site is suitable you might consider this . Sell it on to someone who meets local needs criteria for planning and seek out an existing fixer upper to renovate and extend. Land Commision cottages tend to be small (60m2) but robust structurally. You can buy one and with the right assistance ix it up / extend it to 200 / 250 m2 + without having to meet a local need.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

    You should consult with your local authority first before reaching any conclusions but ultimatley you should get the advise of an Architect in the area or if your budget can stretch far enough...a planning consultant!