Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for members of the permanent defense forces.

Options
  • 24-01-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Got a call from a friend earlier asking trying to settle a bet between two relatives regarding availability of weapons to permanent defense forces members.
    I spoke to my father was was a member of the F.C.A. for about 27 years and his opinion was that the only people who would have had arms to hand were the likes of sentries manning the Entrance to barracks etc, and that for a normal infantryman, soldiers were billeted and weapons were stored in a magazine.
    I don't think anyone was debating that the likes of the ARW members would have close proximity to their weapons, but is there any other branch of the PDF who would have immediate access to weapons ?.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

None will be given. Those not in the Defence forces have neither need, nor right to know these arrangements.

And it is spelt "Defence" round these parts.

Quite simply, as civilians, NOYOMFB

None of Your, or My, Funcking Business

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Fair enough.

Personally I don't really want to know.

Was just trying to settle a bet.

Thanks for the comments. - the grammar lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Bit of rank closing going on there. Anyone would think he was asking where they keep the keys of the armoury. You know the place where they keep all the arms and and ammunition if that isn't giving away a state secret.

In any case the answer is obvious. Even cooks have instant access to assault rifles in case of complaints about the mashed potato.;-) That's in the former East German army anyway. No idea what happens here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP in reality only the likes of sentries posted etc will have immediate access to weapons however all barracks practice a scheme of defence in the unlikely event of an attack ~ then every member in the barracks has immediate access to his/her personal weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

however all barracks practice a scheme of defence in the unlikely event of an attack ~ then every member in the barracks has immediate access to his/her personal weapon.

Has happened - my mother still recalls the huge commotion and massive military activity all around Dublin and the rest of the country after the raid on the Magazine Fort in 1939.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

folbotcar wrote: »
    Bit of rank closing going on there. Anyone would think he was asking where they keep the keys of the armoury. You know the place where they keep all the arms and and ammunition if that isn't giving away a state secret.

In any case the answer is obvious. Even cooks have instant access to assault rifles in case of complaints about the mashed potato.;-) That's in the former East German army anyway. No idea what happens here.

I think you're kind of missing the point.....

.....go on to the Work and Jobs forum and post up a similar query about money and direct it at bank staff - as in......
    Got a call from a friend earlier asking trying to settle a bet between two relatives regarding availability of cash to bank / post office / credit union staff.

I spoke to my father worked in a bank for about 27 years and his opinion was that the only people who would have had cash to hand were the likes of the managers and that for a normal staff, they worked and the cash stored in a safe.

I don't think anyone was debating that the likes of the senior members would have close proximity to the cash, but is there any other branch of the bank who would have immediate access to cash?.

.....and see how far you get.

BTW, I'm not a member (nor never have been) of the PDF, but even I can recognise a fairly silly question when I see it.

I know the question was a bit silly hence my silly answer but the answers were a bit OTT. It's no military secret that soldiers on certain duties will have ready access to weapons. Others in the barracks won't immediately except in wartime or some other crisis. In the past soldiers did bring their personal weapons home. None of this is OPSEC.

This you can gather from any movie featuring soldiers or war. As for banks we know people who work in banks have access to money as do people in shops. It would be an equally silly question but hardly a security issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

OP in reality only the likes of sentries posted etc will have immediate access to weapons however all barracks practice a scheme of defence in the unlikely event of an attack ~ then every member in the barracks has immediate access to his/her personal weapon.

Thanks for that M.

I know the question was a bit silly hence my silly answer but the answers were a bit OTT.

No such thing as OTT re: military security.You respond Exactly The Same Way, Every Time, No Exceptions.
    If something is over & beyond what is needed in an instance (eg clearing a weapon that's clearly not been fired for some time), then it is considered a practice run for when it is not. That goes for attitudes to questions too.

You could say marching is OTT. So is airport security. Military people march. All of us do airport security. We all suck it up and take it.

How the military stores m their weapons is none of our business. You don't have to like that attitude, but you do have to suck it up & accept it.

• Advertisement

I was in the military and I fly so I get it. I'm a bit of stickler for it myself. But in this case the answer is no secret, and to be honest fairly obvious, no need for the initial po faced replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I was in the military and I fly so I get it. I'm a bit of stickler for it myself. But in this case the answer is no secret, and to be honest fairly obvious, no need for the initial po faced replies.

If you were in "the military", as you claim to be, then you would know that is is quite secret actually, to such extent as if anyone who was in a position to share the information you requested was to provide it to you, they would be guilty of an offence under military law.

This is not the movies. This is real life where real people are getting really killed by real bullets in real weapons which have been stolen from real military establishments because some real numpty decided to tell some real criminal they met in a real pub where the real guns and real bullets were kept and by whom.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2074455/300-guns-lost-stolen-Army-bases-just-years-39-found.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7981157/British-guns-used-against-Nato-forces-in-Afghanistan.html
    http://swns.com/news/rifle-missing-british-army-base-year-30510/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

On the face of it OP, your question is innocent enough.

The problem is, you are actually asking about a military establishments state of readiness. Nobody should be revealing that or what procedures are in place.

The answer may be obvious to us all and may be non consequential to others.

So anyone saying "it's not opsec" etc should know better. It's one innocent question this month, another in 2 months and maybe more after that by another person.

I'm not going to be the one to be laissez faire with security arrangements, especially when it has the potential to be used nefariously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Innocent question - fair enough. Any answer however has the potential to breach OPSEC therefore im closing the thread.
    Morph

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement