Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cable diy, solder questions

Options
  • 24-01-2014 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

Im starting to make my own cables, do I need to 'tin' the exposed wire before making the solder joint?

after I twist the wire with my fingers (I snip off the end), can I dip the exposed wire in some acetone(and let it dry) or is there no need to clean any potential skin oil/contamination before I apply solder?

the cable is Cordial SC The Spirit (for some TS patch cables)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

You don't need to clean the bare copper. The solder used for electronics purposes contains a rosin flux core, and this flux cleans the oxides from the copper and promotes 'flowing' so that the solder can adhere to the copper and form a good electrical connection. If practical, I usually tin my cables before the final joint is made. I don't do it when soldering components onto a PCB. When soldering connectors (1/4", XLR, say), I strip and tin the cable, then load the solder buckets or tags on the connector with solder. Then I finish off the joint by reheating the bucket/tag, positioning the tinned cable in the molten solder.

Advertisement