Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuarial and Financial Maths UCD

Options
  • 24-01-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in fifth year in school and maths is my favourite subject. I got 98% in my Christmas test and find it quite easy so far at higher level. I was thinking of doing this course but was wondering if actuarial work wasn't for me would I be able to find a job in another field such as investment banking as I hear this also a good sector to get into if you're good at maths. Would this course then be as good as the likes of economics and finance also in UCD. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Blue giant wrote: »
    I'm currently in fifth year in school and maths is my favourite subject. I got 98% in my Christmas test and find it quite easy so far at higher level. I was thinking of doing this course but was wondering if actuarial work wasn't for me would I be able to find a job in another field such as investment banking as I hear this also a good sector to get into if you're good at maths. Would this course then be as good as the likes of economics and finance also in UCD. Thanks in advance

There are some areas of investment banking where maths is used quite a bit. No matter what subject you do it'll be difficult to get hired in the area, though if you're thinking about it at this stage you'll probably be ahead of most candidates when it comes to applying. To be honest though I think a career is an actuary would be far better. You'll get lots of extra little perks that investment bankers don't, such as "weekends".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

There are some areas of investment banking where maths is used quite a bit. No matter what subject you do it'll be difficult to get hired in the area, though if you're thinking about it at this stage you'll probably be ahead of most candidates when it comes to applying. To be honest though I think a career is an actuary would be far better. You'll get lots of extra little perks that investment bankers don't, such as "weekends".

Would I maybe be better just doing a maths degree in trinity if I'm not 100% sure I want to be an actuary. Would I be able to get other jobs with the actuarial degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

Blue giant wrote: »
    Would I maybe be better just doing a maths degree in trinity if I'm not 100% sure I want to be an actuary. Would I be able to get other jobs with the actuarial degree?

If you want to go down the Actuary route, don't do the Trinity course as;
    1) It doesn't give you any exemptions (the CTs) which take about 2/3 years to get through the profession.
    2) If you do a maths course (pure/engineering/...) there is a risk that no insurance company would take the chance in hiring you. I have meet a few people this has happened to.

If you do decide to do actuary do the DCU,UCD,Queens course they all give exemptions for CT1-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

gleesonger wrote: »
    If you want to go down the Actuary route, don't do the Trinity course as;
    1) It doesn't give you any exemptions (the CTs) which take about 2/3 years to get through the profession.
    2) If you do a maths course (pure/engineering/...) there is a risk that no insurance company would take the chance in hiring you. I have meet a few people this has happened to.

If you do decide to do actuary do the DCU,UCD,Queens course they all give exemptions for CT1-8.

As someone who works as an actuary and didn't do a degree in Actuarial Science, I would disagree. Many employers are very happy to take on people with no exemptions. In fact, some prefer it as they feel that exemptions don't help much with actually doing your job, yet they have to pay you more. In the UK, it is unusual to have many exemptions.

You would need a strong result in whatever degree you take (maths, eng, financial maths, etc) to be considered however. 1st class hons is probably what is required.

An actuarial degree will certainly help with the exams, however, with a bit of effort you can still qualify fairly quickly with no exemptions (I'm on my last exam of 15 and only failed one once).

Advertisement