Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords and Estate Agents acting the bully in Ireland!!

Options
  • 24-01-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi lads, was just lookin on some advice about me wanting to leave a house that im renting, or terminate the tenancy for that matter! Basically i only moved in on the 19th of December, anyhow, as ive stayed here in the place for a while, ive started not to like it! It really dosent suit me and is far too expensive to heat.. My mate is gonna renting a house and said i could share with him, so it would be cheaper on both us etc etc.. So i rang my landlord to explain, and he told me to ring the estate agent and tell her, and that she deals with all that! I ring her up, explainin the circumstances, that i didnt like the property, and it was a bit expensive for me, so i was thinkin of moving in with my mate! She tells me that im leagally bound to pay rent there for the next 6 months, (which the lease is for)... And if i dont pay it, my name will go under the PRTB and if i ever go to rent anywhere again that will show other landlords that im in arrears of £3000 and i wont get any chance of renting again privately? Is this true?? Or is there any way that i can get out of this! Im at my wits end... I was to move out this weekend to my mates, but she tells me i must stay her for at least 2 weeks, and pay for readvertising, or get someone to move into the house! I didnt pay the rent the last 2 weeks coz i was planning on moving in with my mate anyway, and was just gonna let the landlord keep the deposit of 500 euro, im only in the place not even 6 weeks! Anyone help me on this?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

You can't just skip out on a lease on a whim and stop paying rent.
    You should try find someone to take over your lease if you wish to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

If she is offering you a deal of staying out your notice and just paying advertising costs, grab it.

She is correct, you could be liable for the remainder of the rent for the 6 months. You signed a legally binding contract. No one is bullying you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Wineteam

Thanks! Can i not terminate it, in writing tho, so this means i stay a further 28 days.. From notice.. Then move out, would i still be obliged to pay the ramainder of the lease?

Wineteam wrote: »
    Thanks! Can i not terminate it, in writing tho, so this means i stay a further 28 days.. From notice.. Then move out, would i still be obliged to pay the ramainder of the lease?

Depends what the lease says.

Does the lease allow you to terminate with a months notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Wineteam

I didnt get a copy of the lease at all.. And cant remember what it said! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

So you moved in and after two weeks decide not to pay your rent , you are one of the worst tenants a complete time waster. I hope your 'bud' knows the score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭galwaytown

Hi lads, was just lookin on some advice about me wanting to leave a house that im renting, or terminate the tenancy for that matter! Basically i only moved in on the 19th of December, anyhow, as ive stayed here in the place for a while, ive started not to like it! It really dosent suit me and is far too expensive to heat.. My mate is gonna renting a house and said i could share with him, so it would be cheaper on both us etc etc.. So i rang my landlord to explain, and he told me to ring the estate agent and tell her, and that she deals with all that! I ring her up, explainin the circumstances, that i didnt like the property, and it was a bit expensive for me, so i was thinkin of moving in with my mate! She tells me that im leagally bound to pay rent there for the next 6 months, (which the lease is for)... And if i dont pay it, my name will go under the PRTB and if i ever go to rent anywhere again that will show other landlords that im in arrears of £3000 and i wont get any chance of renting again privately? Is this true?? Or is there any way that i can get out of this! Im at my wits end... I was to move out this weekend to my mates, but she tells me i must stay her for at least 2 weeks, and pay for readvertising, or get someone to move into the house! I didnt pay the rent the last 2 weeks coz i was planning on moving in with my mate anyway, and was just gonna let the landlord keep the deposit of 500 euro, im only in the place not even 6 weeks! Anyone help me on this?

How come the house is so expensive to heat?Is it d#mp?If it is then that's grounds enough to move,'certain'agency's are so far up their own...they can't seem to differentiate reality from their own little bubbles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

So you move in for two weeks, get a better offer somewhere else and are basically looking for a way to tell the landlord to do one with no repercussions? Really sounds like you are being bullied alright.

So you moved in and after two weeks decide not to pay your rent , you are one of the worst tenants a complete time waster. I hope your 'bud' knows the score.
    So you move in for two weeks, get a better offer somewhere else and are basically looking for a way to tell the landlord to do one with no repercussions? Really sounds like you are being bullied alright.

Reign it in please - people come here for advice, if you can't offer that then please don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

but she tells me i must stay her for at least 2 weeks, and pay for readvertising, or get someone to move into the house!
    She is being more than generous with this offer, seeing as you're 2 weeks into rent arrears already. They've probably decided that they want rid of you, and who could blame them.

• Advertisement

I didnt get a copy of the lease at all.. And cant remember what it said! :/

Ask for a copy of your lease and read it to find out the terms that you must adhere to. It is a legal document and you are bound by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 harbourmill

Welcome to the real world, if you make an agreement you have to stick to it, landlord has to pay one months rent to the Estate agent for locating a tenant so straight away he/she is at a loss. also the landlord will have to pay one months rent for the next tenant to the estate agent. you are the nightmare tenant ,immature in attitude who believes that lease agreements apply to other people. Also dont forget that the Landlord can take a civil case against you for loss of income and breach of contract, honour your commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

galwaytown wrote: »
    How come the house is so expensive to heat?Is it d#mp?If it is then that's grounds enough to move,'certain'agency's are so far up their own...they can't seem to differentiate reality from their own little bubbles!

That's why the BER was introduced its mandatory for both renting and selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

You signed a legally binding agreement, now you want out, so you're trying to force your way out of it by not not paying rent or abiding by the terms of the agreement. Who's really doing the bullying here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭galwaytown

That's why the BER was introduced its mandatory for both renting and selling.

It's meant to be 'mandatory',have you yourself being in a position where you asked a potential landlord for the 'BER' rating???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It never fails to amaze the total ignorance Irish people have of the law relating to renting property. They just fork up their deposit and one month in advance and away they go.

Advertisement