Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my gaming rig good enough for gaming at high settings?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I never built a gaming desktop before and i wanted to see if these components are good enough for modern gaming at high settings (some games i would play would be battlefield 4, dayz, skyrim, metro last light). Also I don't what to build it myself so i'm using computerplanet (http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/) to get a prebuilt desktop.

Here are the components:

Computer Case Cooler Master 690 II Lite
    CPU Intel Core i7 3820 (4 x 3.6 GHZ)
    Memory 16 GB 1333MHz (2x8GB) - (DDR3)
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 3 GB - (ZOTAC) - (PCI-E)
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 (Intel X79)
    Power Supply Cooler Master GX Lite 700W PSU - Low Noise
    Hard Drive 1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB
    Optical Drive Samsung 24x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader - Black - (SATA)

Cost: 1550 euros

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Depends on the resolution of your monitor,if your playing at 1080p its overkill by quite a bit. €1000 would get you a very good 1080p machine,maybe even a little less

If your monitor is 1440p its about right id say,except if your only gaming drop the RAM to 8GB. Also could drop the i7 to an i5 and save some more money,i5 should be enough for games for the next year or two

Havent come across the PSU before either,is it 80+ rated? Make sure you read a few reviews of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Computer is a ripoff for 1550. I'll do up a build later from hardwareversand where you can pay them 20 to build it. Never heard of that powersupply so check if 80 verified. You can get much much better for 1550. You only need 8GB ram as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cycsis

G"djhurley;88643518"]I never built a gaming desktop before and i wanted to see if these components are good enough for modern gaming at high settings (some games i would play would be battlefield 4, dayz, skyrim, metro last light). Also I don't what to build it myself so i'm using computerplanet (http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/) to get a prebuilt desktop.

Here are the components:

Computer Case Cooler Master 690 II Lite
    CPU Intel Core i7 3820 (4 x 3.6 GHZ)
    Memory 16 GB 1333MHz (2x8GB) - (DDR3)
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 3 GB - (ZOTAC) - (PCI-E)
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 (Intel X79)
    Power Supply Cooler Master GX Lite 700W PSU - Low Noise
    Hard Drive 1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB
    Optical Drive Samsung 24x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader - Black - (SATA)

Cost: 1550 euros[/quote]
    Get faster ram 1333 is too slow but do get 16 gigs if you can as games are using quiet a lot now. Get a ssd even if its small. I would get a msi board I've seen too many Gigabyte boards fail lately. The 780 is class can't go wrong there. Good luck with the build and if you can stick a H80i cooler on that cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Can get a way better build for 1500 euro,, What resolution you gaming at ?

The same build on HWVS is 1250 euro just so u know.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dakkon

Intel Core i7 3820 is complete overkill on a gaming rig, an i5-4760k is far more reasonable. Ram is expensive at the moment, 8Gb of Ram is perfect unless you are into picture and video editing.

Buy a Samsung SSD with the saving and still have plenty of cash left over. Try pricing your parts on Hardwareversand.de. You can get them to build it for 20 euro or less although they are not always the best.

• Advertisement

The recommended system requirement for Ram for Bf4 is 8 gigs so I can't see how 8 is more than enough to be fair. Even get 12 gigs its only about 30€ more.

Also building a system yourself is a good learning experience and it will will stand to you when something goes wrong with it. If that company is only charging 20€ to put it together I wouldn't imagine that there is a whole lot of care or attention put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

For your budget you'd be well able to get a really top spec pc rather than pay ~€400/500 premium for a prebuilt pc over one you could make yourself. There is no SSD mentioned in your build, definitely something to get for your operating system and so you're one of the first to load into a map on BF4 and cap flags!

If you get a modular power supply unit it's a fairly easy process assembling a pc for the first time once you go slow. Do an external build first so you familiarise yourself with your pieces outside the case and check that they all work as they should.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/ is a good place to see various builds within a budget or have a look through the previous posts with similar budgets to yours and see what others were recommended.

Advertisement