Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 sounds like a tumbedryer for first few minutes on boot

Options
  • 24-01-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else get this? Appears to be the hard drive. I figured out afterwards that its causing vibrations on my table that I have it on, amplyfing the nose. It's outrageously loud, but when I held it up off the table, it was still loud.

died down once the game got running a few minutes, but holy **** I thought it was about to explode.

Anyone else have this? I must take a video tonight of it, it's nearly scary how loud it gets :D

Also not sure what I can put between it and the surface of the perfectly, strongly constructed table its sititng on, to stop the "tremors".

Coins on my desk were moving like a T-rex was walking by

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

The ps4 does rev up quite a bit when first booted and then gets quiet but what you describe seems like something is going into overdrive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Check your hd is screwed in properly. Mine is fairly quite,I'de say almost whisper quite on load.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hasnt happened again last two times, after a minute or two settles down into silence.

Might have been due to first turn on in a while? Not sure.

In regards HD being screwed in properly, is the HD externally accessible? HAvnt really gone to the bother of checking out whats around it, just plugged it and went mad for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Mine does that as well, not when its first turned on, but when you first boot the disc up./

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

TheDoc wrote: »
    Hasnt happened again last two times, after a minute or two settles down into silence.

Might have been due to first turn on in a while? Not sure.

In regards HD being screwed in properly, is the HD externally accessible? HAvnt really gone to the bother of checking out whats around it, just plugged it and went mad for it :D

Here you go . Look at 20-25 seconds in to see how easy it is to check,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_nt2Dwf78#t=33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

There is zero dampening in the hd caddy, so the drive is always going to cause vibration through the chasis depending where on the platter it's accessing data from. There are also variances in motor noise pitch between different manufacturers and I bet Sony use 2.5" 5400rpm drives from different manufacturers too as they likely have various qualified vendors. I'd say this noise thing is normal but just in case the drive is actually rattling inside the OP's caddy, I would check the screws are nice and tight as the previous poster said. I moved to an SSD because of the drive noise.

Advertisement