Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apostrophes or es?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Ive googled this already and Im pretty sure I have the right answer but I just want someone to confirm my thinking as Im getting this printed and it would look kinda bad if I have this wrong.

So the key word here is business.

Im running a flyer thats going to say

"we offer our services to all businesses in....."

Thank you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

-es
    Almost always for a plural it's -es

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

Thank you bluewolf. Just while we are on the subject, from my googling earlier, would I be right in thinking:

That business's a great commodity for our town
    That business' employees are very professional
    We are targeting all businesses in the area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well... if you mean the first one like "Microsoft's a great asset", no.
    "That business is a great asset" would be used
    's is usually only "is" for a pronoun or proper noun and not at the end of a clause/sentence
    Mary's a great asset
    Well, however great an asset Mary's, she's not getting a raise

The rest are fine. The second one, I think there is an argument that "That business's employees are very professional" is also okay

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Never use an apostrophe for a plural! :eek:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well... if you mean the first one like "Microsoft's a great asset", no.
    "That business is a great asset" would be used
    's is usually only "is" for a pronoun or proper noun and not at the end of a clause/sentence
    Mary's a great asset
    Well, however great an asset Mary's, she's not getting a raise

The rest are fine. The second one, I think there is an argument that "That business's employees are very professional" is also okay

Hmmm... you know I would be lying if I said I'm not more confused than ever :P Its OK though, I'm not hugely worried about it, for the handful of times I have to actually write anything in my line of work I think I'll be fine. (Though, I must admit, I was delighted when I thought I had finally got my head around them [apostrophes that is], oh well)

BTW.. seeing as you're a mod and all, I have been thinking recently, there is no board here for people to post grammar questions? Would the mods ever consider it?

• Advertisement

You have mostly got your head around them, I was waffling a bit, sorry

Most grammar questions or similar tend to go here I think http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=328

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Quick examples of the most common usage.

It's It's a cold day
    Its The cat licked its paw
    s The girls ran
    's The girl's cat (where there is one girl)
    s' The girls' cat (where there is more than one girl)

I was doing some more reading online and I'm just not getting this apostrophe thing at all.
    Common Mistake

When showing possession, using an apostrophe after s when it should be before

Example of Mistake
    Wagners' music is better than it sounds.

Correct Usage
    Wagner's music is better than it sounds.

In the correct usage is that not kind of saying 'Wagner is music'?

For a name or a thing (nouns), 's means possessive as well as "is". It's more common to use it for possessive.

For "it", 's means "is" or "has"

The girl's ball is blue
    That girl's very good at drawing

Mary's cat is black
    Mary's late for our meeting

It's very cold today
    I like that house, its roof is red. <- no apostrophe
    It's been tiring working all week.

Advertisement