Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe foods?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm cooking dinner for a friend next week who is pregnant. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of desserts are safe to make. I know anything that contains raw eggs are a no no but after that I'm at a complete loss. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Desserts... What kind of thing are you thinking?

Pavlova would be nice. Lots of fruit, light.
    Or for more comfort food, sticky toffee pudding.

All cakes and tarts could be fine, who doesn't like a nice chocolate cake.

Icecreams are fine as long as they are the bought ones with either no egg, or pasteurised egg.
    They might be fussy about things flavoured with alcohol, or they might not be.

Tbh, dessert is the EASIEST meal to eat while pregnant, almost nothing is off the menu, maybe just mousses.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HungryFish

pwurple wrote: »
    Desserts... What kind of thing are you thinking?

Pavlova would be nice. Lots of fruit, light.
    Or for more comfort food, sticky toffee pudding.

Icecreams are fine as long as they are the bought ones with either no egg, or pasteurised egg.
    They might be fussy about things flavoured with alcohol, or they might not be.

Tbh, dessert is the EASIEST meal to eat while pregnant, almost nothing is off the menu, maybe just mousses.

I'm really just thinking about cooking something that's ok for her to eat and won't give her heartburn and things....after that it just has to taste nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Heartburn will be caused by different foods in different people. I'd make either her fav dessert or maybe ask her what she'd like?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HungryFish

cyning wrote: »
    Heartburn will be caused by different foods in different people. I'd make either her fav dessert or maybe ask her what she'd like?

Ok, thanks for the help. Appreciate it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Heartburn can be just from the qty eaten in pregnancy, or even from being hungry, rather than any food in particular. So I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ya I get ridiculous heartburn from everything these days so I eat what I want so honestly don't worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

pwurple wrote: »

I have an inherent distrust of people who don't like chocolate cake :pac:

OP it's really sweet of you to be considering your friends needs. If my pregnancy is anything to go by my "normal" taste buds have been turned on their head and I'm opting for things I never would have thought of. Maybe ask her is there anything she's particularly fond of/ avoiding at the moment and you can work around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The NHS website is my bible! Just google any food that you're unsure about with 'NHS pregnancy' and you'll get a comprehensive answer.

Advertisement