Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double handed fly rod

Options
  • 24-01-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

took the plunge yesterday got a basic double handle fly rod 13ft shakespeare oracle iv #10/11

have a magnum 140d with floating line also

i never even held a fly rod so big i was messing around yesterday out the garden seems like its going to be very interesting to get used too :cool::cool:

any tips or pointers ? heading down to fish the blacky next week glenda powell said she wll be calling to the beats to give a few pointers so thats my priority for now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

popsy09 wrote: »
    took the plunge yesterday got a basic double handle fly rod 13ft shakespeare oracle iv #10/11

have a magnum 140d with floating line also

i never even held a fly rod so big i was messing around yesterday out the garden seems like its going to be very interesting to get used too :cool::cool:

any tips or pointers ? heading down to fish the blacky next week glenda powell said she wll be calling to the beats to give a few pointers so thats my priority for now

Go get a lesson from a qualified instructor it will be money well spent. When there's fish about is no time to be practicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Auldloon wrote: »
    Go get a lesson from a qualified instructor it will be money well spent. When there's fish about is no time to be practicing.

ya glenda powell is a champion spey caster i fish her waters early on in season as not much happens on my own until later , wll have the spinning rod with me also as water will now will probably be high due to last nights rain

when she comes around ill be getting some pointers off her , not really in a position to pay for lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

For the money the Oracle is excellent value - good choice!

It will take a while to get the feel of casting and understanding how to load the rod properly so be patient. Glenda will put you right. There more than likely won't be much happening on the river at this time of year so treat it like a day out casting rather than fishing, and make sure you get some tuition time with Glenda!

i dont think distance will be a problem its more technique id probably scare every fish in the pool with the splashing but ill get the line out no prob ha ha

ya it opens next saturday now so plan is to use it as often as i can early in the season so im ready once there is a good run of fish

has been a goal of mine for awile to try get one on fly

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

i dont think distance will be a problem its more technique id probably scare every fish in the pool with the splashing but ill get the line out no prob ha ha

ya it opens next saturday now so plan is to use it as often as i can early in the season so im ready once there is a good run of fish

Two tips for you popsy:

1. Get lessons( you can get an hours casting lesson for 50 quid if you look hard enough)

2. Learn to spey cast, this is absolutely essential if you decide to use a double handed rod, overhead casting is awkward and tends to catch more trees than salmon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 flyfish anywhere

Lessons are ideal.

Last year was my first fishing for salmon had great intentions in getting a lesson or two but slogged it out meself instead. It can be done, I looked at videos on YouTube etc and you will know yourself when your casting correctly (or close to correctly!) and when you aren't. Its like anything all about practice.

Ps. Get to some water as spey casting on the lawn is a lot different to casting on a river!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

Congrats on your purchase., the oracle is a decent rod.

I think the best money you'll spend now is on lessons. Just get the basic elements of the roll cast and sooner than you think you'll be pinging the line around.

Spring fly fishing is hard going so chat to Glenda about line choice, leaders and leader/tipper lengths.

Most importantly practised your casting on a river! The 40 mins practice every week in the early part of the year will see you very well in summer.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

I am not a big fan of the lesson brigade, I mean €50 an hour if your lucky!! come on lads, all these experts and instructors :rolleyes:

Get out and practise now yourself and do your own research, it's called fishing not casting!

it was never my intention to pay for lessons im sure a few small pointers and away with me :cool:

unfortunately the river was is a big flood as of last night and will now more tham likely nt be in fly order for saturday so we see what happens , at the moment i only have floating line and was told get some sinking so must try sort a spare spool for the reel now

it was never my intention to pay for lessons im sure a few small pointers and away with me :cool:

unfortunately the river was is a big flood as of last night and will now more tham likely nt be in fly order for saturday so we see what happens , at the moment i only have floating line and was told get some sinking so must try sort a spare spool for the reel now

No need for a spare spool just throw a running line on the one you have and you can purchase the shooting heads you need then. Might be a bit much to follow but I would recommend a skagit shooting head. Really easy to cast and the good ones come with a nice selection of heavy sink tips which will do the job perfectly. The Skagit head itself will be floating so you have that option covered aswell.

Give me a pm and I could put you toward some good line setups.

• Advertisement

No need for a spare spool just throw a running line on the one you have and you can purchase the shooting heads you need then. Might be a bit much to follow but I would recommend a skagit shooting head. Really easy to cast and the good ones come with a nice selection of heavy sink tips which will do the job perfectly. The Skagit head itself will be floating so you have that option covered aswell.

Give me a pm and I could put you toward some good line setups.

Ya that's all new to me now ha my intention was just to run the leader off the braided loop and then the fly

I was planning to have floating and maybe an intermediate line and just swap when necessary

Ya that's all new to me now ha my intention was just to run the leader off the braided loop and then the fly

Still do this.

You attach the running line to the backing. You then attach the shooting head to the running line and this gives the weight for casting. Trust me shooting heads is the way to go very very easy to cast.

A basic setup would be this: backing on the reel---running line---shooting head(Skagit I would recommend)---sinking tip(comes with Skagit)---leader---fly.

Use google and YouTube to get all the information, tonnes on there.

Ya will do some reading up on it thanks for help , I will be out in the tackle shop tmw to get a few bits and pieces for Saturday I'll have a chat with him

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

I like you took the plunge too and bought a double hand rod after 3 years on a single hand. I battled with the rod for 3 years and I was casting but it was some effort and I use to be wrecked and all pains after 4 hours fishing. I went to Glenda for one 2 hour session. I learned to spey cast that day. After a little practice I can now fish for a full day and not be wrecked. If you can cast any way at all one lesson will really make a huge difference to your ability. It is without doubt the best money I ever spent for my fishing. I use the Oracle 4 and it is a mighty machine. I have the 13ft Oracle XT which is used from May on and it is fantastic too. Still I rather stalk the flows with a single 10ft when the river runs low after a flood.

I like you took the plunge too and bought a double hand rod after 3 years on a single hand. I battled with the rod for 3 years and I was casting but it was some effort and I use to be wrecked and all pains after 4 hours fishing. I went to Glenda for one 2 hour session. I learned to spey cast that day. After a little practice I can now fish for a full day and not be wrecked. If you can cast any way at all one lesson will really make a huge difference to your ability. It is without doubt the best money I ever spent for my fishing. I use the Oracle 4 and it is a mighty machine. I have the 13ft Oracle XT which is used from May on and it is fantastic too. Still I rather stalk the flows with a single 10ft when the river runs low after a flood.

If I could only get near the river id know where I stand with the rod ha

I have been watching YouTube and tutorial videos all week I reckon I'm ready to give it a good attempt

Just an update on this
    I was using it today for more or less the first time I was ok casting fishing from right to left but when on opposite bank and having to go from left to right and having to cross my body with the cast I was finding it awkward

I enjoyed it though

Advertisement