Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone tried Coolstance Copra?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just wondering if anyone has tried this feed before? I know someone on another forum recommended it for putting on some condition on a horse. I want condition without the fizz, the slightest increase in my fellas feed makes a difference and I don't want him going bananas as beginners ride him now and again. At the minute hes on pulp with a dusting of barley and a mix. He's hardly on any if the truth be told so we upped it by half a scoop and he's a bit too giddy for my liking. I'm thinking of taking out all grains and just feeding pulp with the coolstance, and advice before I switch over? Also am I better with mollases free pulp?

here's a link for info on the feed - http://www.stanceequine.com/product-coolstance-copra

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Equinista

Hi there

I feed coolstance to my show hunters beginning this time of year in preparation for the show season. It is great for putting on condition and improves coat quality and is fine for my mine who tend to be a bit "hot". I also feed Alfa-A oil which really puts a mirror like shine on.

I am not a believer in calmers at all but some horses do have a genuine calcium/magnesium imbalance which makes them fizzy. One of ours used to rodeo his way through life and but for being a veterinary family and able to run tests we may have just assumed he was hot when in fact he had a genuine imbalance. We began to feed Lexvet mineral supplement (the cool one) and he is a changed animal, no more nuts behaviour calm, focussed and in great nick.

You do not have to run tests to prove it, if he does have an imbalance Lexvet will work and work quickly within a couple of days with the bonus of providing all vitamin and mineral requirements.

My conditioning diet consists of sugar beet, regular coarse mix, Alfa-A oil and coolstance. ONce they have obtained optimum condition, we knock off the coolstance and substitute it with carron oil or linseed oil.

It doesn't have to be complicated feeding and the key is keep it forage based and for poor doers (ours all our) then sugar beet is a perfect hybrid feed that fulfills calori needs and fibre needs. Plenty of grass and forage too.
    Hope this helps :)

PS: I am in no way associated with Lexvet, I am a complete cynic on supplements, but it definitely works IF and only if there is a genuine imbalance. Lexvet will also supply you with a sample so you can see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Golden Moments

I have just started mine on copra with Fast Fibre so I will let you know how I get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Hi, I've no experience with it but for what its worth I've always had really great results feeding Baileys no.4 conditioning cubes. Fed to event horses for years during winter to get some weight on them without fizz cause they'd only be in light work. It can be hard to get but I know Kilpedder have it, I'm using it again now has made a big difference to my horses condition in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Hi, I've no experience with it but for what its worth I've always had really great results feeding Baileys no.4 conditioning cubes. Fed to event horses for years during winter to get some weight on them without fizz cause they'd only be in light work. It can be hard to get but I know Kilpedder have it, I'm using it again now has made a big difference to my horses condition in a few weeks.

No 6 is even better!

Advertisement