Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with condensation

Options
  • 24-01-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi,

I moved into my apartment about three weeks ago and I am having serious issues with condensation. This isn't a bit of condensation on the windows for a few hours, I wake up to water running down the windows collecting in pools on the sills and it is the same before I go to bed (I dry and open the windows in the morning for almost an hour and I do the same in the evening).

I live on the ground floor, so I can't leave the windows open when I am out, but the vents are open. The heating is on for an hour in the morning and about three to four hours in the evening (in the hope that it dries out the moisture in the air).

The condensation is on all of the windows, even the spare room. Nothing gets dried on the radiators, or a clothes horse, everything is dried in a condenser drier (kitchen window open while it is on, same for ironing). I boil the kettle twice a day, I avoid boiling food or anything that will introduce too much moisture into the air. The radiators are never covered and the extractor in the bathroom is a good one and clears steam quickly. The windows are cleaned properly at least once a week, but dried at least twice a day, more often if I see condensation building.

I have never had this problem before and I am stumped. The shower is over the bath, so there is a curtain, which is pulled across to dry out as quickly as possible but this is the only major source of moisture I can think of. I am doing everything to reduce the amount of moisture introduced into the place but there is still a huge amount of condensation there everyday.

Can anyone think of anything obvious that I should be doing to combat this? It is a purpose built apartment block, about ten years old. If I could isolate the problem, I could hopefully fix the cause but I am completely stumped.

I am debating contacting the landlord, because I think that I would like to know if there was excessive condensation in my property if the shoe was on the other foot, but it seems ridiculously trivial to bother him about at the same time when I am sort of on top of it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Are there any proper vents other than the little slit ones on top of the windows?

To be honest Id be getting in contact with the landlord, to bring it to their attention and also to just have a chat and see if they have any suggestions. It doesnt sound like you are doing anything to cause this; the normal accusations would be drying clothes indoors on radiators/clothes horse without opening windows, cooking without using the extractor fan etc, but you say you arent doing any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭uli84

Just get dehumidifier, to be honest in as humid country as Ireland everyone should have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Just those little vents at the top of the windows. I honestly can't think of anything else that could be a source of that much moisture. I have a thing about dampness, mould, etc so I am always aware of introducing a problem into my home. When I was in college, I shared a house and one idiot who turned off the heat in their room, kept the window closed and piled damp towels, etc on the floor introduced mould into an otherwise lovely property. Keeping my home warm, dry and clean has always been a priority and the memories of scrubbing mould off that house have stuck with me.

I will contact the landlord about it and have a chat and see if there is something that I am missing.

As for getting a dehumidifier, that doesn't particularly solve my problem. I can't find the source of that much moisture and I don't particularly want to spend money on a dehumidifier and electricity to run it unless I have exhausted other avenues. I will obviously go down this route if necessary but I never had this problem before, ever.

I have rented for years and I really do my best to take care of the property that I rent. I treat it as my own, so I would like to get to the source of the problem realistically. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

uli84 wrote: »
    Just get dehumidifier, to be honest in as humid country as Ireland everyone should have one.

You shouldn't need one. They aren't free you know.

OP, speak to your landlord about this issue. At the very least you need to make them aware so you don't get stung later on. It sounds like your ventilation is insufficient or you have a leak somewhere.

Thanks, I will call my landlord later for a chat. It is just something that I cannot get on top of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wow this could nearly have been my apartment.

I'm putting together a list for my landlord as I'm moving on, but there is horrendous condensation in the bedroom window, exactly as you describe. Yet the windows are wooden which weren't maintained and have massive drafts in them.

We had to fill the vent in the room as for some reason someone had a DIY job at it, and smashed a whole to the outside, and wind would be gusting in freezing the apartment.

We have no fan extractor either on the cooker. Previous tenants in their wonderful wisdom painted over it destroying it entirely.

Been a learning experience anyway when it comes to picking somewhere new. I've had a cold/cough for going on 12 weeks now, from the drafts and ****e that flies through the drafts and walking up in the morning ( im beside the window) to a window which has gathered water, collected it on the windowsill, and spilt over onto the bed : /

Thanks everyone. It looks like the window seals need to be replaced (apparently the neighbours are all having issues with them) and our boiler is leaking. There may also be an issue with a leak under the floors.

Lots of little issues, but nothing that can't be solved apparently, which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks everyone. It looks like the window seals need to be replaced (apparently the neighbours are all having issues with them) and our boiler is leaking. There may also be an issue with a leak under the floors.

Lots of little issues, but nothing that can't be solved apparently, which is good.

Get all that in writing so that the landlord or agent don't try to shaft you when you're moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What ever about a dehumidifier , get yourself a carbon monoxide alarm , there can be a link between condensation and boiler fumes...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 26,276 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There is occassionally condensation in my apartment if I cook or shower but this is combated by the extractor fans in the bathroom and kitchen.

A couple of mornings (not every morning mind) in the last few weeks I have noticed that there is a fair bit of condensation built up on my bedroom windows which I cannot fully explain if it is not just from a person sleeping there all night.

I open the windows at least once a day even in this freezing weather though so I don't think its a long-term issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

First of all,,
    Contact the landlord and talk to him about it.. make him aware that you think it is a problem, (it can destroy clothes, electronics, not to mention your health).
    Explain that you have never experienced this before and have rented many places.
    The source of the moisture is you breathing, clothes drying,, food cooking..
    There normally is a lot of moisture in the air, this hits your cold window and turns to condensation, modern buildings can have a problem with this because older houses are often draughty and have fireplaces etc. (good for condensation bad for insulation)
    Is your bedroom north facing? This will contribute to the problem, as it is sheltered from winds and the windows will be colder. The key is ventilation,, at night keep the window open a crack if you can.. (although being on the ground floor I know this is not always easy, noise, safety, etc)..

Make sure you cook with the kitchen extractors on full blast,, you keep the apartment well ventilated when you are there. If you are hanging wet clothes, and towels on radiators this emits a huge amount of water into the air.

You could check the air vents make sure they are not blocked,, you can unscrew them and check, hoover them out, you should feel a bit of suction on your air vents in the room. Strangely having a fan on pointing towards the vents can improve air circulation.

Overall, the best cure for this type of thing, is getting modern windows with good air vents along the top,, they should be left open and create a small draught sucking the moisture out of the air and outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Did you say you had a condenser dryer ?? If that's not working right could it be adding to water vapour in your house ??
    It seems to be cold Walls and windows , and warm rooms...
    We just did a good bit of work in our cottage, (think 2 foot thick stone Walls)
    And we're getting condensation and black mould in places we never did before, windows and reveals on north facing Walls.. Pain in the arse ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement