Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group SMS

Options
  • 24-01-2014 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey all,

I've a Nexus 4 (coming from iPhone) and exported (.vcf) and imported the file to Google contacts in Gmail (web).

I have numerous groups set up.

When I go to send an sms (standard or hangouts app), none of the groups show up. It works for a text to a single person though.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be?

Perhaps I should import as csv?

I don' think it's the messaging app?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nataspy

Anyone..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I just exported all my contacts from Google using vcf (Apple) format and csv (Google) format.

I can't see any Group information in the vcf file at all.
    So it's one of two things, either vcf doesn't support group data, or Google doesn't export any group data into the vcf file.
    If Google doesn't export group data, it probably doesn't import it.

So yes, if you can export as csv hopefully it will include the group data you want and Google should be able to import it too.

Cheers. I'll give it a go.

I removed all google contacts and imported them from a csv file (web) and imported the groups separately also.

So all contacts there.

Still, when I go to compose an SMS, I type the first few letters of the group name, but group doesn't come up for me to select it.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

I've tried using hangouts and the standard messaging app again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Can you define how you are making "groups" for me please? Are they the Groups under My Contacts in Gmail like below? Because I only use "Starred in Android" and it shows up with stock Messaging (selecting the + to Add Contacts) but not in Hangouts. Here's a screenshot of my messaging app too.

tVMf9M1.png

gFCdWJE.png

• Advertisement

Yes, I have them listed under My Contacts. For example, 'Test' is a group I've just set up (I'm enquiring on behalf of someone else - this is my own account, but theirs is set up the same).

Attached is the image. Don't know how to post it directly. :)

nataspy wrote: »
    Yes, I have them listed under My Contacts. For example, 'Test' is a group I've just set up (I'm enquiring on behalf of someone else - this is my own account, but theirs is set up the same).

Attached is the image. Don't know how to post it directly. :)
    Ok cool, and this group Test is not showing up in the stock Messaging app on the users phone? Are you just searching for Test or clicking the + next to where the contact name is and seeing the Group at the top like my screenshot.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Ok cool, and this group Test is not showing up in the stock Messaging app on the users phone? Are you just searching for Test or clicking the + next to where the contact name is and seeing the Group at the top like my screenshot.

The groups are there in under the contacts in the 'People' app.

But when hitting the + to compose a new message to send to the group, when you input the first few letters of the group's name, the group doesn't come up as one of the options to send to...

nataspy wrote: »
    The groups are there in under the contacts in the 'People' app.

But when hitting the + to compose a new message to send to the group, when you input the first few letters of the group's name, the group doesn't come up as one of the options to send to...
    That's normal behaviour, the groups are not searchable in that sense - you have to click the + within a new message to add more contacts and select your group from the top of the list (like my screenshot). This will then populalate the To field with all the seperate contacts of the selected group.

Definitely doesn't work in Hangouts for me though, it will probably come soon though because it as an SMS app is still weak and I don't use it (except for Google Talk).

Knew it would be something simple!!

I'll have to wait 'til later to take a look! Cheers. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement