Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW MILKING PARLOUR

Options
  • 23-01-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

My father and I run a small dairy farm of 30 cows on 70 acres with a few followers. We are
    currently milking in an old 4 unit pipeline parlour but we are looking at building a new parlour. How much would a basic 6 unit parlour cost to build? Can anyone offer me any advice inrelation to a new parlour?

Thanks for your help!

TheClubMan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

very little as equipment could be got right on done deal! 30 cows isnt much do you work as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

youd get a second hand very cheap, id go eight ot ten unit save u time in the long run and if you want to expand

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭TheClubMan

rs8 wrote: »
    very little as equipment could be got right on done deal! 30 cows isnt much do you work aswell?
    I have seen some cheap s/h parlours on done deal alright. No we dont have many. The plan would be to expand but its all money! I work with the FRS and also do some freeze branding during the spring and autumn aswell as studying part time. How much do reckon a decent s/h parlour would cost including building work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

How much building work could you do your self? I would go for a ten unit if ye could. They are easy enough come by on DD. we will be taking out our 6 unit for a 12 when ever the grant cones through

kevthegaff wrote: »
    youd get a second hand very cheap, id go eight ot ten unit save u time in the long run and if you want to expand
    The plan would to expand in the next number of years. I would like to put a few extra units in to improve efficiency but the problem is space. We want to build it where the current parlour is located as its well positioned in the yard. There's not much to work with so we will either knock it or salvage what we can. How much do you reckon it would cost? Any advice to keep costs down?

• Advertisement

How much building work could you do your self? I would go for a ten unit if ye could. They are easy enough come by on DD. we will be taking out our 6 unit for a 12 when ever the grant cones through
    Construction wouldn't be a strong point but between myself and my father we could do s lot of the concrete work and the roof. A 10 unit would be ideal it's just the lack of space but I'm not an expert do maybe it could be worked. Which grant was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

TheClubMan wrote: »
    Construction wouldn't be a strong point but between myself and my father we could do s lot of the concrete work and the roof. A 10 unit would be ideal it's just the lack of space but I'm not an expert do maybe it could be worked. Which grant was that?

Well there gone now but there was a grant available for putting in a new milking machine and/or bulk tank

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

20-30k 2nd hand if you keep it basic and keep control of costs. Very good thread here from before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87380849

Beware of 2nd hand parlours, I'd be very slow about buying one that has already been ripped out, and potentially had loads of wires/pipes irreparably cut, instead I'd buy one still intact, and use yourown man to decommission it and re-install it in yourown parlour, he will have a good idea how to put it back in place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Well there gone now but there was a grant available for putting in a new milking machine and/or bulk tank

Thought they announced a new round of grants for parlours etc in last wks new cap bill. Especially for farmers under 40

Timmaay wrote: »
    20-30k 2nd hand if you keep it basic and keep control of costs. Very good thread here from before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87380849

Beware of 2nd hand parlours, I'd be very slow about buying one that has already been ripped out, and potentially had loads of wires/pipes irreparably cut, instead I'd buy one still intact, and use yourown man to decommission it and re-install it in yourown parlour, he will have a good idea how to put it back in place!
    Ya i agree i took out my own in galway and my friend cut the pulsation wires, took me 2 days to rewire the whole thing, get a technician to do it(theyl do a better job too!). Mine was about 5500 for a 12 unit including the steel but that was a bargain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

TheClubMan wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

My father and I run a small dairy farm of 30 cows on 70 acres with a few followers. We are
    currently milking in an old 4 unit pipeline parlour but we are looking at building a new parlour. How much would a basic 6 unit parlour cost to build? Can anyone offer me any advice inrelation to a new parlour?

Thanks for your help!

TheClubMan.

If you have room in the pit why not put in a 2nd 4unit could be cheapest option??

Timmaay wrote: »
    That's k 2nd hand if you keep it basic and keep control of costs. Very good thread here from before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87380849

I get what you're saying. Thats good advice! I think we will go down the s/h route as we won't be able to afford a new parlour. Would it be difficult enough to find one still intact? Thanks for that link by the way. Really helpful!

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Ya i agree i took out my own in galway and my friend cut the pulsation wires, took me 2 days to rewire the whole thing, get a technician to do it(theyl do a better job too!). Mine was about 5500 for a 12 unit including the steel but that was a bargain

5500 does sound like a bargain alright! How much would a technician cost to do it? How much did the entire job cost including building work or did you fit it into an existing building?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

my advice from working off -farm is, get a 12 gallon receiver jar MIN a 3kw motor and bigger vac pump(capable of 10-12 units),plus recording jars for holding that cow's milk you cant allow into tank and a frame that takes two vacuum pumps + motors ( over each other in case you increase numbers)the price difference is only euros and output difference is massive,with 70 acres you can expect to milk at least 60 cows. small parlours are a scald,so have at least a 5 foot pit, if cows straight standing or using units at each side (great job)go wider.Newer bulk tanks are now installed outside no house required.
    i saw parlours installed in old buildings working perfectly, the pits were dug out using mini diggers no problem in a day.i changed from dairying a few years back and a few technicians offered to buy mine it consisted of 4 yr old 3kw motor and vacuum pump capable of 12 units ,double diaphram milk pump and plate cooler,electronic master pulsation and stand-by Westphalia master pulsator all working and relays. they offered 850- 1200 Euros and said loads were available at that price, i decided it keep it for training dairy replacements for sale.,a building 25ft wide with cows stalled straight (locking headrail) approx 28 inches c-c ,plus troughs would allow 6 1/2 - 7 ft pit approx and a lot wider if no troughs.best of luck:)

I put in an existing shed that was used for milking in the day, i only got the technician to do an allround check which passed! might add another 4 units in the next few years, the batch feeders was the best money i ever spent, the hassle of bucketing:(

i have seen parlours with only one or no wall,low wider A- roof & rails instead & with & without troughs, told it was New Zealand design-cows come in wet on a rainy day anyway! Give plenty thought to design of cattle handling facility for herd testing and segregating bulling animals coming out of parlour
    don't hem your self in,got price for 45x24 ft roof timber/iron for e1800 recently, so you save another thousand min in labour, if building on green field site,when you are capable of concrete and roof work yourself . that way you have room for expanding building as required, ideally a calving pen should have milking point for fresh calvers- just in case or wet night, ideal use for old pipeline or bucket. a lot of parlours i saw, put new set-up in old building stalls,or sheds as its length allowed for calving pens at end with 2 or 3 calf pens as well(for wet nights again)I wouldn't bother with old lines if under 3 inches/air /milk if buying S/H unless coming cheap and ensure sufficient room for bigger milk collection trucks with preferably no entry required for truck in any part of yard, other than reverse up to tank, with outlet of tank at outside,and outside bulk tank altogether,they should be available s/hand imported

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kk man

I dunno if I agree it's nice to be milking in a sheltered parlour on cold and wet days

thought that too at time,depends on location etc. but those i saw were in sheltery spot,wind and rain didnt bother them any way,i milked cows with walls and roofs in enclosed parlours with a wind-sweep through that would cut the nose off a brass monkey so shelter is main priority not walls all round,any way they can be constructed later. drainage in pipework for frosty weather and good crush and facility to catch bulling cows on exit from parlour is essential.
    a dairy location where lorries collecting milk or bulk ration deliveries don't have to go into cattle yards if possible for turning purposes ideally back in off road on to apron

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you have the width but not much length, a parlour with the cows at 90 degrees to the pit is a nice layout. Some people don't like milking through the hind legs, especially when the cows are slackening off. With a 90 degree set-up and Jars, there is not a huge amount of room in the pit between each jar, so if you are a bear of a lad (or lassie) it might be an issue. Try milking in a few different designs if at all possible. It could be as easy in the long run to put up a new shed, and not have to compromise something. Get the height of the pit correct for your height, or your back will be buggered in no time. Put in 6 inch sewer pipes to drain the pit, and keep the runs straight as possible. 4 inch PVC sewer pipe blocks too easily. Keep photo's of the pipe work layout before back filling, it can save a pile of hassle in the future if you have to dig up the concrete in the future. (ask me how I know!)

i have mine at 90 degrees with 6ft pit sloping into 5ft 6 at top and with recording jars, its too narrow but it meant getting six a side into space occupied previously by 4 in herringbone elbow breaker design ,it had support bar into ground behind each cow , a double rump rail with bottom bar at 26 inches would eliminate need for that with support from over head ladder frame bolted to wall .so i would recommend at least 6ft 6 between rump rails if standing straight & up to 8 ft if available at this with you could consider units at each side and don't forget gutter boards,standing at 90 they will paste you with crap,
    another option if new building,make part of floor where cows stand, a suspended floor or overhang of roughly 2.5 feet each side and put pipework underneath at both sides,means putting in extra milk line & units & wash-line using electric milk pump,saw photographs of it done with recording jars

• Advertisement
Advertisement