Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Gaming PC Build!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

magicianz wrote: »
    Hi guys!

So I'm getting a new Gaming PC and I've made a parts list over the last few weeks doing research on and off.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.67 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card ($591.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1301.58
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-23 09:48 EST-0500)

Build is priced at €1050 at the moment, there is a bit of leeway so if a component can be upgraded with a high preformance/euro then do recommend it and I can bump it up!

The PC is for gaming with Starcraft 2, LoL, Civ 5, as well as some 3D modelling through Solidworks. This PC is designed to last for quite a few years and I'll be able to upgrade as needed, when needed.

I'm not 100% sure on the motherboard, while it seems to be decent and get good reviews, I'm thinking I might be better off getting a mobo with 2 PCIe x16 rather than a mobo with 1 PCIe x16 and a PCIe x4.

Power supply is a bit higher than needed to accomodate overclocking and later upgrades. If adding a second R9 290x in 2-3 years, I might consider upgrading to the 1000W model of that series.

If anyone has any recommendations I would be happy to hear them!

Well it seems a bit pointless to splash so much on the PSU for sli/crossing and then get a mobo not ideal for it. Same with overclocking. Maybe the asrock extreme range.

Just as a note.
    have you considered maybe going Intel. You did say you wanted longer life. I only say this as the new broadwell is supposed to be faster than current haswell. Which will surpass an overclocked AMD even on stock no?

Now if this is true going Intel z87 will enable you to get broadwell down the road. Further increasing upgrade capabilities. For the sake of 40 Euro is it? And I5 k haswell is a good chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

All that said the CPU you picked is a good one I'm not saying it is not. Just some food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Would you have a recommendation on a what processor I should get so?

If I went for the Intel mobo I'd be looking at something like the i5-4670k which seems to be a bit better, and I should be able to push that harder on overclocking with the water cooling that the AMD chip since heat generation in the Intel chip won't be as high, right? :o

Haven't built a PC/watched the market in a long time, sorry :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Starcraft performs pretty badly on an AMD GPU so you might be better of going Intel on this one, I'd be strongly consider ditching the H100i and pair an i5-4670K with a decent enough air cooler like the Macho 120 (Or if you can stretch to both then great, but really a decent air cooler should allow you to get near maximal overclocks at best something like the H100i is really only going to net you another 100-200MHz tops).

This motherboard can do dual X8 and would be fine for crosssfire at a later stage

http://www.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/79848/ASRock+Z87+Extreme3%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+ATX.article

850W should be plentyfor 2 X R9290 and all the overclocking you could possibly do.

EDIT: Starcraft benches:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/5
    http://www.behardware.com/articles/880-16/amd-fx-8350-review-is-amd-back.html

marco_polo wrote: »
    Starcraft performs pretty badly on an AMD GPU so you might be better of going Intel on this one, I'd be strongly consider ditching the H100i and pair an i5-4670K with a decent enough air cooler like the Macho 120 (Or if you can stretch to both then great, but really a decent air cooler should allow you to get near maximal overclocks at best something like the H100i is really only going to net you another 100-200MHz tops).

This motherboard can do dual X8 and would be fine for crosssfire at a later stage

http://www.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/79848/ASRock+Z87+Extreme3%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+ATX.article

850W should be plentyfor 2 X R9290 and all the overclocking you could possibly do.

Air cooler > water cooler? What is this madness? :o Also that cooler doesn't have the LGA1150 socket listed as one it fits on - uncompatible with the mobo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

The newer Intel chips have (relatively) poor internal thermal conductivity. Basically the heat can't get to the outside of the chip fast enough when you push too far past the stock power level. So it doesn't much matter what kind of cooler you have strapped on it, the heat's not there to be removed (it's trapped inside). A good air cooler will already remove nearly all the heat that does make it out, so the extra capacity of the water cooler is mostly wasted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Air cooler > water cooler? What is this madness? :o Also that cooler doesn't have the LGA1150 socket listed as one it fits on - uncompatible with the mobo?

The 1150 is the same the mountings they haven't changed at all for a few socket revisions now.

I didn't say better rather more cost effective, you should be able to get near the maximum of of an i5-4670K with something relatively cheap like the 120 or similar. Sure the H100i will be marginally quieter as you'll be able to keep RPMs low and keep the chip a few degrees cooler, but is it worth an extra €70 odd euro?

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=871&page=0

Luck100 wrote: »
    The newer Intel chips have (relatively) poor internal thermal conductivity. Basically the heat can't get to the outside of the chip fast enough when you push too far past the stock power level. So it doesn't much matter what kind of cooler you have strapped on it, the heat's not there to be removed (it's trapped inside). A good air cooler will already remove nearly all the heat that does make it out, so the extra capacity of the water cooler is mostly wasted.

Surely its much more dependent on the power of the cooler, as if you can maintain a lower temperature on the outside of the chip, the temp. gradient will be higher - i.e. better cooler. You should be able to reach a critical point where generate heat = extracted heat at between 60-80c as with many of the cpu/coolers? Or is something arse ways with the above?

Surely its much more dependent on the power of the cooler, as if you can maintain a lower temperature on the outside of the chip, the temp. gradient will be higher - i.e. better cooler. You should be able to reach a critical point where generate heat = extracted heat at between 60-80c as with many of the cpu/coolers? Or is something arse ways with the above?

It is the heat transfer between the chip itself and the heat sink where the problem is (The silver part at the top is a heatsink, not the actual CPU). So no matter what cooler is attached to the exterior of the heatsink, it cannot speed up the internal transfer.

Any excess heat generated above the transfer limit of the paste would simply build up on the chip and eventually fry it.

Advertisement