Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould in bedroom - now carpet & blinds smell of mould.

Options
  • 23-01-2014 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5

Hi folks,

Once particular corner in my girlfriends bedroom got very mouldy - Now before people say the mould is caused by not opening windows, covering vents etc etc - the mould in the bedroom was caused by a leak coming from the outside which saturated the wall.

The landlord came to "fix" it before, only wiping away the mould which came back again. I then realized it was actually a leak from outside.

He has now fixed the leak (I think...) but now the room smells of musty mould - the wooden venetian blinds are mouldy and I'm sure the carpet absorbed some of the mould smell and is now dispensing it into the air.

Would it be reasonable to ask the landlord to replace or professionally clean the carpet and replace the smelly wooden venetian blinds? It's really disgusting and no lady should be living like that, especially for €450/month. It smells like the type of places I used to rent when I was a poverty stricken student.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

More than reasonable. I would replace them without the tenant needing to asking. In saying that if I didn't know the issue was on going I might miss it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

MouldyBum wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Once particular corner in my girlfriends bedroom got very mouldy - Now before people say the mould is caused by not opening windows, covering vents etc etc - the mould in the bedroom was caused by a leak coming from the outside which saturated the wall.

The landlord came to "fix" it before, only wiping away the mould which came back again. I then realized it was actually a leak from outside.

He has now fixed the leak (I think...) but now the room smells of musty mould - the wooden venetian blinds are mouldy and I'm sure the carpet absorbed some of the mould smell and is now dispensing it into the air.

Would it be reasonable to ask the landlord to replace or professionally clean the carpet and replace the smelly wooden venetian blinds? It's really disgusting and no lady should be living like that, especially for €450/month. It smells like the type of places I used to rent when I was a poverty stricken student.

It would be very reasonable. Sleeping and inhaling mould aroma is very unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

absolutely carpets and furnishings that are damaged. The LL should be able to claim on insurance but that is none of the tenants concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

a dehumidifier would help dry up the room and eliminate any dampness in walls and floor.

a dehumidifier would help dry up the room and eliminate any dampness in walls and floor.
    A cheap option is a commercial bag of rice. It will absorb huge amounts of moisture and you can place it on things like carpet where as a dehumidifier only tackles air bourn moisture.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 MouldyBum

Do you mean empty the bag of rice onto the floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They aren't free to run. The tenant shouldn't be out of pocket for this.

MouldyBum wrote: »
    Do you mean empty the bag of rice onto the floor?
    No you can use it in a cloth bag or a pillow case. Anything porous itself. You can also dump the rice on it directly but a pain to clean up even with a good hoover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

That is a brilliant tip Ray. I had heard of putting a water damaged phone into rice, so I suppose it works on the same principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Mould spores are extremeley dangerous... They should be professionally cleaned, or replaced....

• Advertisement
Advertisement