Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Means test failed

Options
  • 23-01-2014 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey. So I'm 22, living at home with a father who's on the dole and a working mother. I've been out of college since May and after the jobsearch went on for so long I finally applied for the dole but now I'm after getting rejected. Apparently my parents combined money is enough to support me so I get no government support.

My parents do not give me any money whatsoever, they refuse to (and rightly so). I live off scrounging my meazly savings. I tried to explain to the office that while according to the test my parents can support me, they absolutely refuse to and I'm stuck in limbo with no support on either end, with both sides telling me to beg the other for money.

Has anyone gotten refused before? Did you get it sorted? Did you reapply and get it fixed? Does anyone have any advice on what I could do to change this? I made an appointment to reapply just out of desperation, I dont know what to do. I'm at my wits end here and the office just does not give a ****.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html.

As you will see from the above link, the only thing that could change this would be for your mother to lose her job or suffer a reduction in her salary.

This benefit and privilege rule is applied. The means test's other rules mean that a couple working and one partner loses their job, claims Jobseekers Benefit for the allowed period and then has to go on the means tested Jobseekers Allowance and their partner's salary is at such a level that they will receive no Jobseekers payment whatsoever. This is frequent and common. Rules are applied indiscriminately.

If your parents are not providing adequate food and heating and health care for you, you should go to a social worker. No point in going to a social worker though if it is a case that they are only refusing to provide you with cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

This is how the country views you.
    You are 22 year old able bodied man (woman?) living with your parents in a warm comfortable house where the fridge is well stocked and the heating is on and you have all the "benefit and privilege" of their generosity and love. You are not cold or hungry.
    If your parents,as you say rightly so, refuse to give you cash for incidentals or entertainment, then that is between you and your parents. The country is not going to give it to you instead.
    As the last poster said, if you are in fact cold and hungry or sick and not being looked after then you need to find a social worker.
    Other than that there is no point in reapplying for Job seekers unless your parents suffer a serious drop in income.
    If you need money you will have to take any job you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Move to rented accommodation - then you will be treated separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A few years back what everyone had to do in your case was move out. They then got accommodation paid plus welfare payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Move to rented accommodation - then you will be treated separately.

If you move to rented accommodation you will get 100 euro per week. If you can get on the social housing list you will pay 30 per week rent out of that euro100.
    Out of 70 euro you will pay for
    Food
    Heating
    Light
    Laundry
    Phone credit
    And any other incidentals and entertainment that you are looking for cash for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

mickdw wrote: »
    A few years back what everyone had to do in your case was move out. They then got accommodation paid plus welfare payment.

And right there is a huge part of the problem..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement