Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Military relaxes rules on religious headwear

Options
  • 23-01-2014 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25853546

The US military is easing its uniform rules to allow religious wear including turbans, skullcaps, beards and tattoos, officials have said.

Muslim, Sikh, Jewish and Wiccan soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen can now request exemptions to strict military uniform and grooming policies.

Requests will be evaluated individually and can be denied if they hinder military readiness.

Previously, at least three Sikhs had won specific accommodation.

Service members' requests for a religious accommodation will be weighed on a case-by-case basis to ensure they do not impact "mission accomplishment, unit cohesion, and good order and discipline", Lt Cmdr Nate Christensen told the BBC.

And appeals to be allowed to wear beards or special apparel, for example, may be denied if they hinder the safe operation of weapons or military equipment, such as helmets or protective masks.

An accommodation will only apply to the service member's current assignment, requiring him or her to obtain new exemptions with every transfer, according to a copy the policy directive obtained by the BBC.

The new policy, in effect on Wednesday, will extend to all religions recognised by the US military across all branches.

The US military counts nearly 3,700 Muslims and 1,500 Wiccans among its ranks, according to statistics reported by NBC News, but it remains unclear how many will apply for dispensations.

"We don't know how many requests we will get," Lt Cmdr Christensen said. "No two requests are going to be the same."

Amardeep Singh, co-founder of the Sikh Coalition, an advocacy group, described the new Pentagon measure as "a step forward" but said it still represented uncertainty for Sikh Americans, whose religion requires men to wear turbans, beards and long hair.

"What is the incentive to enlist when there's such little clarity if you'll be accommodated," he asked.

"It's absolutely progress that the military is stating a commitment to protecting religious liberty... However, it's clear that we have a long way to go."

What do you think of this, and what are the chances of a politically correct government forcing the Irish Defense Forces to adopt similar regulations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

If it means broadening the profile of those who wish to become recruits but were prevented from doing so because they had to shave off their beard, then I'm all for it.

It has nothing to do with political correctness. The British army have been using Sikhs, complete with Turbans, beards and hair since the 1800s with nothing but positive results. On the contrary some would say the current hair regulations are merely a side effect from the hippie days. Look at photos of irish soldiers from the 1960s. You'll see loads of hair, and sideburns Guy Martin would be proud of. All greased down to a nice uniform shape.

If we allow women with long hair join, why not men with long hair too?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

IIRC, beards went out of fashion in the US military during WW2, when gas masks were needed to survive, and the beards hindered a complete seal of skin to mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Bring back the mandatory sapper beard, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

In the British Army Forces beards are worn by Farriers of the Household Division and few Royal Engineers with special appointments to do so on ceremonial occasions. Whether these facial adornments are home-grown or temporary stick-on items, a form of 'detachment on duty', is outside my limited knowledge of the more arcane dress regulations of the British Armed Forces, some of which require men to wear skirts.

I don't know about Sikhs in the Army, as I never met one, but in the Royal Air Force, Sikhs have always been permiited to wear a turban - in fact, the RAF actually issues a 'pre-turbed' item made of what looks remarkably like light blue kitchen roll. The RAF hat badge simply gets stuck in a suitable fold. They also wear their kirpan, but those few of my acquaintance were always clean-shaven and short-haired, things that go well with having to occasionally wear full NBC kit.

I have no idea about the Royal Navy, but no doubt they have their own arrangements - shoulder-mounted parrot, that sort of thing.

As for me, I never wore a kippah except when at a religious gathering of my own kind when in civilian dress - a rare event to say the least.

Just as a matter of interest, given the Wiccans proclivity for being 'sky-dressed', how do you provide a uniform for somebody whose religion requires them to wear no clothes at all?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

tac foley wrote: »

As for me, I never wore a kippah except when at a religious gathering of my own kind when in civilian dress - a rare event to say the least.

Just as a matter of interest, given the Wiccans proclivity for being 'sky-dressed', how do you provide a uniform for somebody whose religion requires them to wear no clothes at all?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

tac

I've no idea but pinning on medals must hurt a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Beano wrote: »
    I've no idea but pinning on medals must hurt a bit.

Cackle.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭airsofter1234

Do you not think that it should have some limit? What about a muslim women wearing a dpm burka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Do you not think that it should have some limit? What about a muslim women wearing a dpm burka?

What about it? It'll save her a fortune on camo paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

tac foley wrote: »
    I have no idea about the Royal Navy, but no doubt they have their own arrangements - shoulder-mounted parrot, that sort of thing.

That was brilliant.

Isn't that just a gillie suit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement