Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunting has moved to the PDC.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

So will he lose out on a chunk of his winnings now?
    Didn't he already say he was going to be back to defend his title?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Didnt see this coming
    i thought he missed his chance to take his tour card?
    what happens the 100k he won now does he loose it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Brilliant news. He'll be a force in the PDC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

sc86 wrote: »
    Didnt see this coming
    i thought he missed his chance to take his tour card?
    what happens the 100k he won now does he loose it?

Maybe he was just waiting to get paid before he left the sinking ship.

Either way it tells you everything you need to know about the BDO as an organization when their champion walks away like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Morrison J wrote: »
    Brilliant news. He'll be a force in the PDC.

Doubt he will be a consistent force in the PDC, but could see him getting to the Quarters/Semis of a few majors. Don't think he is at the standard yet where he could challenge the likes of Taylor, Lewis, and Van Gerwen. A welcome addition however!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Didn't expect that at all, good move for Bunting and fair play to him for making the brave decision.

i think payday from bdo was yesterday so he waited till then
    i thought he missed the date to take a tour card?

I thought Hearn had previously said they would not take people trying to join after the qualifying school date, think that arose when there was speculation about Waites before.

Either way, a bad bad day for the BDO. First time they lose a reigning champion afaik. They may have survived previous moves when they had the depth to get by, but there is a gap opening and this really emphasises that. They have lost their star player, the other household name is Waites and he has slid down the rankings a few paces and of course crashed out early in the worlds so he may have lost some cred.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If Hearn doesn't make an exception for him, then I think he is limited to
    a) UK Open qualifiers.
    b) GSOD.
    c) Exhibitions.
    to keep himself ticking over for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

The 4 semi finalists are automatically offered tour Cards so maybe he could wait until after he was paid to change over with no consequence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Degag wrote: »
    The 4 semi finalists are automatically offered tour Cards so maybe he could wait until after he was paid to change over with no consequence?

In the build up to the qualifying school, the PDC had stated that the number of qualifiers would depend on (among other things) whether any of the four BDO semi-finalists took up their offer. During the qualifiers I thought they were noticeably quiet about how many were taken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Good to see him make the move although it could take him a year or so to fully get to grips with the higher standard.

I should say I am not sure it's great news. It's good for him, in fairness.

I don't mind the split, 2 world championships and so on, more darts all round. It's like in other sports, they can watch different leagues even if one is inferior, in American Football one can switch from NFL to college, in GAA one can watch club or county, there are different belts and organisations in boxing and so on. Meanwhile in snooker you get the same players playing the same format on the same tables, only the cities change, and while it's not the be all and end all, it becomes a bit of a procession.

The BDO needs to retain some talent or there will be a point where it becomes pretty unwatchable. I thought last years worlds were bad with players like Dekker, Harms and George going a long way, and this year it bounced back. But losing Bunting is a bad blow for them. Hopefully it will cause them to go away and rethink their entire strategy, promote their brand more, make it attractive, because they are in danger of falling away.

i think the bdo will survive if the average joe soap leaves the pdc
    ted hankey going back will help, stompe and scholten have also done the reverse
    i think next year will see alot more lads that are past it going back to fill up the bdo again

Advertisement