Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LUAS to Leopardstown Racecourse

Options
  • 23-01-2014 12:06am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking to find out which Luas station is best to get off and return back from Leopardstown Races this weekend. First trip so any advice welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

The sandyford stop and afaik they do a complimentary shuttle bus on race days if not it's about a 15 min walk. I doubt there is a cut through or walkway from the Central Park stop which is closet to the racecourse.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭mike2084

Thanks for that, That is what I was thinking myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Carrickmines is closer I'd reckon and then walk through the back gate just off the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

http://goo.gl/maps/2uTVh

Leopardstown Valley looks best

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The LUAS lite rail offers a regular service from St Stephens Green to Sandyford / Brewery Road which takes only 22 minutes. The racecourse is only a short walk from the station however a complimentary shuttle bus service is available on racedays.

http://www.leopardstown.com/Leopardstown/Contact-Us/How-to-get-to-Leopardstown/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

If you don't know the area, I'd get off at the Sandyford stop - turn left and follow the luas tracks which you then have to cross and stay left. You get to a round about, take the second left - and you'll see the entrance to the racecourse on your right.

It's about 10-15mins walk - but if there's shuttles then you're sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

There is nearly always a shuttle service from the Sandyford stop. If not, then the walk is no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Carrickmines is closer I'd reckon and then walk through the back gate just off the M50

Definitely not, particularly when you factor the extra time spent on the LUAS.

It's a maximum 20 minutes walk from Sandyford LUAS stop to the turnstiles at Leopardstown.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=53.273914,-6.19689&spn=0.015115,0.047035&sll=53.275197,-6.197212&sspn=0.007558,0.023518&geocode=FRXKLAMdMnah_w%3BFcvzLAMdDlOh_w&t=m&dirflg=w&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=16&z=15

Going to Carrickmines adds another 12 minutes to the journey time on the LUAS, and then another 30 minutes walk back to the racecourse.

It would take twice as long as getting off at Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Is "Racecourse" stop operational yet? If it were, would it even be useful?

The nearest stop as the crow flies is the Central Park stop - you would then need to walk through Central park, past Leopardstown hospital, out to the roundabout and the entrance to the racecourse is on the right hand side (when driving it would be the last exit) on Leopardstown Road. The luas timetable is different for Central Park - it's the Bride's Glen luas and not the Sandyford luas - so they are not as frequent.. there is not much in the difference in terms of distance.

I'm not sure about any Racecourse stop?

• Advertisement

Racecourse stop never came into use - a complete waste of money, particularly given the fact that it takes longer overall than walking from Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Lads you are all forgetting that it's at least 10 mins walk from Racecourse Gates to get into the Racecourse itself, I get off at Ballyogan wood then 10 mins walk in the back entrance to turnstiles

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Lads you are all forgetting that it's at least 10 mins walk from Racecourse Gates to get into the Racecourse itself, I get off at Ballyogan wood then 10 mins walk in the back entrance to turnstiles

I'm not forgetting that at all.

It is 20 minutes walk from Sandyford LUAS stop to the turnstiles maximum.

That's the time walking time I quoted above.

All I can say is that you must have turbo charged legs if you can walk from Ballyogan Wood to the end of Ballyogan Road, across the M50 bridge and then double back to the turnstiles in 10 minutes. Google maps calculates that at 2.5km!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

No way in the world that it's 2.5k, I've walked it hundreds of times

edit, just looked at it on the map, suppose it's not far off 2-2.5k, maybe I'm just in a hurry to get to the races ;)

21/25

uch wrote: »
    No way in the world that it's 2.5k, I've walked it hundreds of times

edit, just looked at it on the map, suppose it's not far off 2-2.5k, maybe I'm just in a hurry to get to the races ;)

Which if you add that walking time to the additional LUAS time means you're probably taking longer than if you got off at Sandyford!

Thanks everybody for your help much appreciated :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I never cease to be amazed at the way the Luas has no stops for Leopardstown or Carrickmines, yet fields in the middle of nowhere have smart, unused stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CelticCub

cgarrad wrote: »
    http://goo.gl/maps/2uTVh

Leopardstown Valley looks best

The bridge across the M50 which links the Leopardstown Valley stop and Leopardstown Racecourse is closed so not the best suggestion!

I never cease to be amazed at the way the Luas has no stops for Leopardstown or Carrickmines, yet fields in the middle of nowhere have smart, unused stations.

Last time I checked, Carrickmines DOES have a LUAS stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

lxflyer wrote: »
    Last time I checked, Carrickmines DOES have a LUAS stop.

It does indeed. It would be handy if there was one somewhere near the retail/business park though.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your advice guys. I got off at Sandyford and the complimentary shuttle bus to the course was waiting when we arrived. All in all it seems pretty well organised to thumbs up to the Leopardstown organisers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭adrag

mike2084 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Looking to find out which Luas station is best to get off and return back from Leopardstown Races this weekend. First trip so any advice welcome. Thanks.

Cant answer, but be careful parking in luas carparks on race days, I heard of a lot of break ins.Crims thinking people are carrying a lot of cash.Dont want to put you off im just saying be careful.When goin racing I tend to carry money in the sock.always works

It does indeed. It would be handy if there was one somewhere near the retail/business park though.

Well let's be honest - that would require the entire line to be re-routed.

The real problem is the lack of pedestrian access to the retail park from Ballyogan Road, rather than the location of the LUAS stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

If you get off at central Park there is a shortcut through South County Business Park, there is an electric gate which is rarely closed. Leave the station and head down the path to the front entrance to Leopardstown park hospital. Just cross the road is the small gate, go through it and take the path to the right. This will bring you out in SCBP just below Icon Clinical, turn right and walk all the way up to the top of the road and go around behind the building on the left through the carpark and you will be out at McGuirks Golf shop and the turnstiles for the racecourse, its no more than 5-6 minutes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

central park is only 5 mins from the course, and you pop out at the entrance to the venue, not the gates with the long walk

Yep - but the only thing is, if you don't know the area it isn't as straight forward. I think the OP is sorted now anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

Excuse the bump but does anyone know if you can access the racecourse yet via the M50 bridge leading to the back of Leopardstown/Ballyogan Shopping Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

You can but its a bit tricky. There is a development going on beyond the roundabout entrance to the shopping centre, if you walk down past it to almost the end of the cul de sac there is a gap in the fence, go through that and walk north towards the bridge, its a bit mucky there at the minute, killer heels are not recommended for the ladies !!!!. I wouldnt be sure if during race days that there is some sort of security on the bridge. The waste ground you would be walking through once served as an overflow carpark for the racecourse.

Advertisement