Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on a what car to go for please!

Options
  • 22-01-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Im looking to change the car which is currently a 1.6 petrol audi a3 2005.

I travel about 400KM/week so Im wondering would it be worth my while to change to a diesel??

I'd like a nice looking motor too but dunno what to go for. The budget with my own would be 5-10k.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

why do you want to change most cars at 5k will be same year as yours

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

5-10k plus the audi?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

400km a week is only 250 miles, wouldn't be changing from petrol to diesel just for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭peege

I was going to move past the 08 year for the tax, not that its worth much anymore so i thought diesel would be more economical but i dont know. How many miles per week would you want to be doing before you move onto a diesel?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    5-10k plus the audi?

Yes, i was hoping to get anout 5k for the audi. So in total 10-15k is what id be willing to spend.

• Advertisement

My car plus 5-10 k. 10-15k worth of a new car, if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What sort of driving do you do? Is it mostly short stop/start trips or motorway driving. Modern diesels don't like short stop/start trips and you could end up paying more in maintenance than you actually save at the pump. There are also a good few petrol cars that qualify for cheap tax these days.

bazz26 wrote: »
    What sort of driving do you do? Is it mostly short stop/start trips or motorway driving. Modern diesels don't like short stop/start trips and you could end up paying more in maintenance than you actually save at the pump. There are also a good few petrol cars that qualify for cheap tax these days.

80% of my driving would be on the main road. The rest would be city driving. The 1.6 petrol audi would cost me about €80 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

peege wrote: »
    80% of my driving would be on the main road. The rest would be city driving. The 1.6 petrol audi would cost me about €80 week.

Is that on fuel alone? At 250 miles per week that's roughly 25 mpg. Can't be right. I only fare out a wee bit worse and I drive a 2.5 touareg.

Satanta wrote: »
    Is that on fuel alone? At 250 miles per week that's roughly 25 mpg. Can't be right. I only fare out a wee bit worse and I drive a 2.5 touareg.

The last couple of months ive been doing a bit of extra driving over the weekends so that is adding to it.

Generally its €60-80 per week and it is on fuel alone. Thats why i want to change to something more economical but something that looks well too.

• Advertisement

bmw 320d???

The last couple of months ive been doing a bit of extra driving over the weekends so that is adding to it.

Generally its €60-80 per week and it is on fuel alone. Thats why i want to change to something more economical but something that looks well too.

Let's be straight here :D

Do you want a newer different car and need an excuse to spend €10k.
    Cos the actual figures will never make sense. You'll still be spending €10k at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

1.4tfsi version of what you have if you like it. There is also a few 1.8tfsi versions around too. Either will be more economical then what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

As colm has said, for whatever reason you want to change your car... You are going to be out cash on a more expensive car that will ultimately depreciate more than what you have at the moment. So the initial outlay coupled with cost of depreciation will outweigh savings made in running costs.

So that's the boring crap out if the way. If I wanted to change my car, and I do fequently, I never fool myself into thinking I'll be better off financially. It is purely the symptom of my affliction. I love driving and owning different cars, and different types if cars. I'm out a.bit of money every few years but life is short and I'll not be able to drive when I'm dead.

So.... Pick a car that you like. Test drive a few of them. Research common faults. Make sure.you get a good one. And enjoy it. Simples.

Nice looking is subjective. Easy to run is relative. Given your parameters (small hatch and doing average mileage) I would probably say something like a focus 2.0 diesel? Plenty of power compared with your car and economical too.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Let's be straight here :D

Do you want a newer different car and need an excuse to spend €10k.
    Cos the actual figures will never make sense. You'll still be spending €10k at the end of it.

I'm not looking for an excuse to spend the money but I want nice car that would be economical.

Satanta wrote: »
    As colm has said, for whatever reason you want to change your car... You are going to be out cash on a more expensive car that will ultimately depreciate more than what you have atcoupled with cost of depreciation will outweigh savings made in running costs.

So that's the boring crap out if the way. If I wanted to change my car, and I do fequently, I never fool myself into thinking I'll be better off financially. It is purely the symptom of my affliction. I love driving and owning different cars, and different types if cars. I'm out a.bit of money every few years but life is short and I'll not be able to drive when I'm dead.

So.... Pick a car that you like. Test drive a few of them. Research common faults. Make sure.you get a good one. And enjoy it. Simples.

Nice looking is subjective. Easy to run is relative. Given your parameters (small hatch and doing average mileage) I would probably say something like a focus 2.0 diesel? Plenty of power compared with your car and economical too.

Thanks for taking the time to think about my predicament! i appreciate your insightful reply.

Your right and I suppose I didn't think of it like that

I think id love BMW 3 series but theyre out of my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thanks for taking the time to think about my predicament! i appreciate your insightful reply.

Your right and I suppose I didn't think of it like that

I think id love BMW 3 series but theyre out of my budget.

You will get many 3 series from 08 in your budget.

What do you like/dislike about the A3?

Decided to hold onto my a3. There is nothing wrong with it and the cars I test drove didn't really compare to it. The golf isn't great and too common. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Advertisement