Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long are provisonal licenses allowed to be used for?

Options
  • 22-01-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

How long can you use a provisonal before you have to get a full license

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

as long as you want I think but you now need someone with a full license beside while driving! see below!

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_cars_and_work_vehicles.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Your first learner permit/provisional license is valid for two years. When it expires, you can get it renewed with no requirements to sit or pass your test. Your second one is also valid for two years. You can also get your second one renewed with no such requirements. You can only get it renewed for a third time if you can prove that you have applied to sit the driving test. You don't have to have actually sat the test, you just have to have applied to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ARCD

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Your first learner permit/provisional license is valid for two years. When it expires, you can get it renewed with no requirements to sit or pass your test. Your second one is also valid for two years. You can also get your second one renewed with no such requirements. You can only get it renewed for a third time if you can prove that you have applied to sit the driving test. You don't have to have actually sat the test, you just have to have applied to do it.

Incorrect, to renew your second or later permit you must provide evidence that you have:

A) taken a driving test

B) applied for a driving test

C) evidence of a medical condition that prevented you from taking the test

There is no limit to the amount of times you can renew your permit but those restrictions apply to all renewals after your second permit. Only the first renewal has no restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sorry, my bad. I phrased my post wrong. You are correct. To get a third learner permit, you must have applied to sit, or have sat your test.

Advertisement