Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rochestown to CityGate,Mahon

Options
  • 22-01-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey guys,
    I just arrived in Cork and today was my first day at cork. I am staying in a guesthouse in Rochestown.
    Today morning I walked to the city gate, mahon building where my office is.
    I walked parallel to the douglas river, went over the bridge that goes over the motorway and then walked the narrow road parallel to the motorway which took me to this Garage (Johnson,I think). From there City gate is just 5 minutes walk.
    It was lovely except one problem. Coming back to my guesthouse, it was dark. Very dark. I was really scared near this bridge that goes over the motorway and kept looking over my shoulder.
    Was wondering if there was another way for me to come back from the office to Rochestown. Public transport seems to be nil. any suggestions?

thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Hi duh, yes that walkway is extremely dark and creepy at night, which is a pity.

Public transport would mean getting 2 buses - the 223 from the main rochestown road into the bus station and then either getting the 202 to Mahon and getting off just by the garage you passed this morning, or getting the 215 to Mahon point which passes citygate.

Check out www.buseireann.ie for timetables. The 223 is a suburban bus so not as frequent as the city services but there should be a good selection of times at peak times.

Edit: sorry just realised you were looking to get home.
    Of course in the evenings you could get the 215 or walk up to the garage and get the 202 into the city centre and then get the 223.

Or one last alternative, there is a 219 which runs to Douglas and you could catch the 223 in Douglas as it passes there. 219 only runs once an hour and stops at 6 - I think. You would have to walk up to where you'd get the 202 to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

does the 219 go anywhere near your work in mahon (im not familiar with the route in mahon). You MAY be bale to get that to Douglas and then a 223 or 216 from there depending on where you are in Rochestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ludo wrote: »
    does the 219 go anywhere near your work in mahon (im not familiar with the route in mahon). You MAY be bale to get that to Douglas and then a 223 or 216 from there depending on where you are in Rochestown.

If they are working in City Gate they could walk up to the Topaz Garage by the CSO office and get the 219 to Douglas, presuming they are done with work in time for it.

OP, the only other walking route would be 10+ Km to Rochestown... my advice would be to buy an inexpensive push bike on Donedeal and go along the line (the route you took this morning is known as the line)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 duh

thanks guys,
    the bike is not an option. I am in Rochestown temporarily until I find an apartment which could take 1/2/ weeks. And I know that I will not use the bike later. Not a bike person.
    I will try what Karmella suggested. Will take 202 to city centre and then 223 to Rochestown.
    And BTW, I an staying near the Petrol station in Rochestown. There is a supermarket called Murphy's there. Does this change anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 duh

A basic question. How do I buy tickets in the bus. Do I board the bus and pay the driver? Or, do I just go sit and someone will come and collect the money from me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

duh wrote: »
    A basic question. How do I buy tickets in the bus. Do I board the bus and pay the driver?

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

duh wrote: »
    thanks guys,
    the bike is not an option. I am in Rochestown temporarily until I find an apartment which could take 1/2/ weeks. And I know that I will not use the bike later. Not a bike person.
    I will try what Karmella suggested. Will take 202 to city centre and then 223 to Rochestown.
    And BTW, I an staying near the Petrol station in Rochestown. There is a supermarket called Murphy's there. Does this change anything?

What time do you finish work at? It would be much much faster for you if you finish before 1800 to get the 1800 219 service to Douglas and then onto the 223 to Rochestown from douglas.

And if you finish after 1800 get the 215 into town and the 223 to Rochestown. The 215 is right next to City Gate, the 202 is too far a walk and slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Alternatively move to a B+B in Mahon for a couple of weeks and save yourself a lot of time getting "home" in the evenings.

Advertisement