Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving home..

Options
  • 22-01-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

So I kinda want to move home. I'm on JSA and get €173 (they insist they overpaid me sometime before) a week so I really can't afford to rent and live while I'm looking for a job. I've already been unemployed for over 6 months and there's nothing at all on the horizon. I'm 24 right now, 25 in April so I just want to know if I move home now, will I be cut down or should I wait until I actually turn 25?

Also I got a letter from that Tus scheme, not sure how beneficial it'll be but it looks like I have no choice in if I want to do it or not, if I worked and traveled from home would I get the full amount I'd be entitled to if I wasn't at home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

bump..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

how are you even getting 173 euro? the 100 and 144 euro limits have been in place for over four years?

I'd been on btea through 3 years of college, worked part time for a year and a half and been on jobseekers now for around 6 months. Guess I never really signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you can prove that you have lived independently for a considerable period of time then your parents earnings may not be assessed against you if you move home.

Being in college and in receipt of a grant would not suffice. Being in college and supported by parents would not suffice.

I've been out of home for the guts of 4-5 years now. I didn't get any grant while I was on btea, I'd been to college once before but left but have a degree after my 2nd stint. I've been out of work for over 6 months now and it's really not looking good so I don't really have any choice because I'm struggling bigtime to make ends meet. My dad works but doesn't make much, mum is unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I couldnt say either way what way moving home will impact on your payment. Worst case scenario your fathers income will be assessed as means against your claim. If they are other college or school going siblings at home and your parents pay rent or mortgage and health care this is all take into account when assessing means for someone under 25 living at home.

Guess there's only one way to find out either way, don't really want to move without telling them. Knowing my luck I'd be caught out sooner or later

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You'd end up with another overpayment and getting cut further.

Advertisement