Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC proposed changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What exactly are the BCCI planning to do after they leave the ICC? :confused: No test/ODI/T20 cricket.

If this proposal goes through then it will be the death of international cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

BCCI , ECB , CA......

Reminds me of that hit Bollywood movie "3 Idiots"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

booth70 wrote: »
    BCCI , ECB , CA......

Reminds me of that hit Bollywood movie "3 Idiots"

Never seen that particular gem but could certainty picture Giles Clarke in it.

infographics-graph-distribution-1.jpg

Taken from Wisden India. Just shows how badly everyone outside India, England and Australia does. Particularly the associates who get shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I cant believe how many spineless boards exist. Let the BCCI break away and CA & The ECB if they want to.

See how fast media deals and TV revenue drops as people get bored of the same 3 teams playing over and over and over.

Far too many followers and not enough leaders at crickets top table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I didn't realise the figures were so high in terms of revenue! That looks like a really bad deal for everyone except India, England and Australia. The associate members really get shafted :(

Vote has been deferred for another month, doubt any changes will happen that improve the lot of the smaller nations though.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/28/icc-defers-vote-financial-reforms?CMP=twt_gu

Can someone explain this to me in simple, idiotproof terms please?!!

My reading of it is that BCCI, ECB and CA have drafted up a proposal which basically gives them a greater cut of the power and money, and they expect that the rest will vote to agree to it, is this correct?

Why on earth would the other members agree to this? Those boards have enough power as it is, and this will surely all but guarantee that three nations control world cricket, without much hope of anyone else ever clawing back some control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jonny_Darcy

Im with you on this one djimi, ok so I can see why India probably deserve more revenue as they generate so much but I cant for the life of me understand why the likes of South Africa, WI..etc etc would go along with these proposals to change the structure of ICC. Although this article in the Guardian shows the financial dependence the other counties have on India

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/28/india-aces-future-of-cricket

It's the threat of the BCCI completely pulling out of ICC and Test cricket, leaving a massive financial black hole for cricket worldwide that is encouraging other countries to consider it a deal they can sign up to. Pakistan making noises about fighting the deal. Time will tell.

• Advertisement

So are the BCCI going to be allowed to dangle that threat over world cricket now every time they want to get their way?

Id sooner let them pull out of the ICC and deal with the fallout, rather than allow the ICC to be bent over a barrel and basically be blackmailed by BCCI whenever they want to get their own way.

The ICC have been spineless for far too long, the BCCI power grab has been on the cards for a long time, and no one has done anything to stop it, and now it looks too late. I hope there is a fight against this deal, but worry about the international game in general whichever decision is ultimately made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

It's worrying that the working paper received unanimous backing from the ICC executive board....hoping this won't go through when it is voted on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Very regressive proposal - a case of greed & power really making individuals and organisations shortsighted..

Excellent article in The Telegraph tearing into the big 3.
    The tag line sums it up nicely :

Disgrace of the Big Three carve-up is everything that cricket should not stand for. It is time for an independent board to control the game.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/10611925/Those-in-charge-of-the-ICC-are-the-very-last-people-who-should-be-running-world-cricket.html

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dom17

infographics-graph-distribution-1.jpg

Taken from Wisden India. Just shows how badly everyone outside India, England and Australia does. Particularly the associates who get shafted.

very nice graph, i'm not in favour of the proposal but i imagine if you put up a graph of the money generated by the various boards it wouldn.t be far off the above. India generate far and away more revenue than any of the others so i guess thay can have their cake and eat it.

Could be India's version of world series cricket coming , and they all said back then that Packer would destroy cricket

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

So it appears the next ICup winner will get a play-off for Test status! We really should be getting a playoff now rather then having to wait.

I wonder how the play-off will work, 3 Test series in UAE? 1 Home and 1 Away test and a decider if required in the UAE? Just 1 Test? Whatever way it works, I think that without demotion on the line (to keep nerves equal all round) it is going to be a big challenge to win any play-off, though I guess you can also argue the bottom test side will have nothing on the line and may not be that focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dotski_w_

minitrue wrote: »
    So it appears the next ICup winner will get a play-off for Test status! We really should be getting a playoff now rather then having to wait.

I wonder how the play-off will work, 3 Test series in UAE? 1 Home and 1 Away test and a decider if required in the UAE? Just 1 Test? Whatever way it works, I think that without demotion on the line (to keep nerves equal all round) it is going to be a big challenge to win any play-off, though I guess you can also argue the bottom test side will have nothing on the line and may not be that focused.

Rumours here and there seem to imply a 4-game series, 2 home, 2 away - no mention of what to do if tied (I suspect the 'incumbency' principle kicks in and nothing changes). According to Bangladesh official quoted on ESPN site the losing team loses 5% of ICC-generated income (think that's about $1 over 4 years) so its an incentive, although not a massive prize for us if we win and then have to fund a Test set-up.

I dont think the Banglers will have to worry anyway id be shocked if the playoff isnt ICC winner V Zimbabwe tbh.

That said there is a very very real prospect that the Afgans will be the side in the playoff taking our form and age profile into account versus theirs.

Jumping the gun here a bit but whilst it isnt the way Id like Ireland to get test status, Id take it in anyway we can. That said the winner will get "temporary test status" Im not sure exactly what that means as in does it get us a place on the FTP calendar or are we going to be left in the same state as we are now with official ODI status having to scramble to get crumbs from the top table in terms of games.

On a seperate note with 2 year requalification I wonder if either Boyd or Eoin would have a change of allegiance should we get status. Id very much doubt it and your looking at more than 4 years down the line but I guess its an interesting topic of discussion.

D3PO wrote: »
    That said the winner will get "temporary test status" Im not sure exactly what that means as in does it get us a place on the FTP calendar or are we going to be left in the same state as we are now with official ODI status having to scramble to get crumbs from the top table in terms of games.
    Aren't they getting rid of the FTP calendar also still? Who knows what crumbs we might be able to pick up (or might be given to us) if we can get there.

• Advertisement

I have never heard them looking at getting rid of the FTP calendar ? Interesting if true although id imagine it would be a disaster.

At least the initial plan was to scrap the FTP and replace it with "bilateral agreements" between the various boards. One of the big sticks that was used to push this through was that Aus and E&W had committed to doing so with everyone and India clarified they also intended to make such arrangements with everyone, offering the prospect of Bangladesh (and Pakistan?) actually touring India! Reading between the lines though it probably means the "unprofitable" countries will get a single test home OR away each cycle, while the big three will play dozens of games a year between each other. Do I sound a little sceptical ;)

Advertisement