Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relatives sought after remains of Irish WWI soldier discovered

Options
  • 22-01-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

Link - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/relatives-sought-after-remains-of-irish-wwi-soldier-discovered-29941062.html

Article -

BRIAN HUTTON, PA – 22 JANUARY 2014

DEFENCE chiefs in Britain are trying to track down the Irish relatives of a soldier killed in the First World War after the discovery of his remains.

Private James Rowan's family is believed to have moved from their native Co Longford to Lancashire in England, where he was born in the late 1800s.

As a young man he took a job as a miner at Park Lane Colliery near Wigan, before going on to enlist with the 1st Battalion The Lancashire Fusiliers when the Great War broke out.

Just 30 years old, he was killed on a Belgian battlefield near the village of Comines-Warneton.

His suspected remains were found only four years ago by an amateur archaeologist and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) believes it could get conclusive proof through a DNA sample from his relatives.

It is also planning a re-internment and memorial service for the soldier.

It is believed the Rowan family moved back to Co Longford.

Lynne Gammond of British army headquarters at Andover, Wiltshire, said they have little to go on but are anxious for anyone who might know of or be linked to the family to contact them.

"Private James Rowan is among those remembered on the Ploegsteert Memorial in Flanders which records the many missing in the First World War," she said.

"It would be good to hear from any relatives who could be involved now that we can arrange an interment and memorial."

Ms Gammond added: "Unfortunately, whilst we know his family roots were in Longford and there is speculation that the family later returned there we have little more to go on."

Pte Rowan's suspected remains were among six sets found close to a railway siding outside Comines-Warneton in 2010.

The MoD's Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre - which investigates the discovery of missing bodies killed in action - believe they have positively identified two of the six combatants found in the dig.

They are working to get DNA samples from the families to confirm the identities.

It is believed Pte Rowan is one of the other four bodies, through cross-referencing of military records, including war and regimental diaries kept from the time.

If confirmed, Pte Rowan will be buried in the Comines-Warneton cemetery along with his fallen comrades.

The MoD said his family would also be invited to a memorial service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm lucky, I know where my grandfather is. It must have been terrible for those at that time, never knowing if the 'missing in action, believed killed' telegram was ever going to turn into a 'confirmed killed in action, and buried at.......'.

I've been instumental in bringing folks over from Canada and the USA to visit their relatives buried here in UK - Americans are buried in the huge Madingley American Military Cemetery, not far from where we live. Canadians are buried all over the UK, and we've had a sister, a nephew and neice over at different times - all relatives of airmen who never got to go home.

Two of my namesakes are in Madingley - one on the Wall of Remembrance, the other with a real visitable grave.

I hope that they find the relatives of Pte Rowan - surely there must be somebody around with such an unusual name?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

I'm just having a look at records for this chap.

KIA in October 1914; entered France 22nd August 1914 - suggesting he was already a regular/reservist. Soldiers Died has him born in Wigan. Not seeing any links with Co Longford, only Co Mayo (if I've the right chap in the records in Wigan).

Advertisement