Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative English HL

Options
  • 22-01-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Does anyone know which scores better in the comparative generally: the single 70 mark question or the 2 part 30 and 40 mark question.

Don't really know which is best to do in my pre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 soupyryan13

Well our teacher advised us to do the Two part question as with the 70 marker it is harder to keep focused on the question whereas the two part one you only have to compare one text and briefly mention another and in the second part you just compare the other two. In my opinion this is much easier as you can keep focused on the question eaily instead of writing a big four page speel that will more than likely go off track and lose you marks....

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Well our teacher advised us to do the Two part question as with the 70 marker it is harder to keep focused on the question whereas the two part one you only have to compare one text and briefly mention another and in the second part you just compare the other two. In my opinion this is much easier as you can keep focused on the question eaily instead of writing a big four page speel that will more than likely go off track and lose you marks....

Ok thanks that makes sense as you don't need to make as many comparisons. Part a is just one text like.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

I'm not trying to offend you or contradict your teacher, but I was told by an advising examiner that it's expected among the correctors that weaker students tend to opt for the 30/40 split question.
    Of course, that may not mean that you can't do well on it, or anything like that, but that's what I was told.

My bottom line would be to go with the one you're most comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

English is breaking my balls at the moment, i'm trying so hard at it with handing up extra essays following structures from sample essays and only winding up with 55-65%. Does anyone have any tips for constructing answers because im really worrying about it because English is my weakest subject and bringing me down on points

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

I'm not trying to offend you or contradict your teacher, but I was told by an advising examiner that it's expected among the correctors that weaker students tend to opt for the 30/40 split question.
    Of course, that may not mean that you can't do well on it, or anything like that, but that's what I was told.

My bottom line would be to go with the one you're most comfortable with.

Yeah I asked my teacher yesterday and she said if you find yourself caught for time you'd probably fare better doing the single question 70 marker. She said you can get away with writing less as instead of having to refer back to two questions you only have to reference one, if you get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

I personally prefer doing part A). It's easier to study for in my opinion. Plus, it's shorter than the two-part one so you'll have more time in the exam.

Advertisement