Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Requirements for graphics card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

750 W is the recommended wattage rating for your pc's PSU. They usually set a really inflated recommended number to cover their a*s for cases where people have really junky PSUs which can't come close to their rated value without blowing up.

The actual power draw is 'total dissipated power' (TDP), just google for that if you don't see it. For the R9 290 it's 275 watts.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2397/radeon-r9-290.html

So you should budget for 275 watts for the GPU alone, plus some margin for overclocking/surges.

For example, if you have the R9 290 (275 watts TDP) and i5 4570 (84 watts) you should budget:

275 (GPU) + 84 (CPU) + 30 (drives, etc) = 389 watts nominal TDP.

To have some room for overclocking and avoid running your PSU at 100% all the time, I would look for a 500 PSU in the example above. More if you want to do heavy overclocking or the PSU is a brand with lesser reputation. Also think about if you want the possibility of crossfire (second GPU) down the road, then you'd probably want 800-850 watts minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Luck100 wrote: »
    For example, if you have the R9 290 (275 watts TDP) and i5 4570 (84 watts) you should budget:

275 (GPU) + 84 (CPU) + 30 (drives, etc) = 389 watts nominal TDP.

To have some room for overclocking and avoid running your PSU at 100% all the time, I would look for a 500 PSU in the example above. More if you want to do heavy overclocking or the PSU is a brand with lesser reputation. Also think about if you want the possibility of crossfire (second GPU) down the road, then you'd probably want 800-850 watts minimum.

Not to mention the AC --> DC conversion where 10 - 20% of power is lost.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Not to mention the AC --> DC conversion where 10 - 20% of power is lost.

PSUs are rated on the maximum DC power supplied to your system, not the power drawn from the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Luck100 wrote: »
    PSUs are rated on the maximum DC power supplied to your system, not the power drawn from the wall.

Yeah that's true, just wanted to throw it in... that being said it is superfluous :P

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    Yeah that's true, just wanted to throw it in... that being said it is superfluous :P

No worries...just didn't want OP to think he needs another 10-20% in the power budget for conversion loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Thanks guys! In my case so, FX-8350 (TDP: 125W), Sapphire R9 290 tri-x(TDP: 275W), water cooler, drives, etc., I'm looking at around 450W or so being used, throw on another 100-150W for overclocking everything, 700W - 750W should do me?

Yeah, 700-750 watts from any of the decent manufacturers should definitely have you covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Try the be quiet 700w silver.

Or a similar corsair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Try the be quiet 700w silver.

Or a similar corsair.

Are be quiet! a respected brand now? Only heard of them recently! I was looking at this 850W RM Series Corsair for my supply at the moment, for future possible expansions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

magicianz wrote: »
    Are be quiet! a respected brand now? Only heard of them recently! I was looking at this 850W RM Series Corsair for my supply at the moment, for future possible expansions!

Yeah they make pretty good PSU. Name sounds gimmicky, but is actually true to the product.

That 850w going to run you a few quid.
    but if you're not on a budget. Go ahead.

Advertisement