Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our departure from the United Kingdom

Options
  • 22-01-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hello All,

I saw an interesting comment today on Reddit re our departure from the United Kingdom in 1922 and total independence in 1949.

Basically, the poster stated all the flaws of our government over the past 90-odd years i.e clerical abuse, clerical power, reliance on Catholicism for any sort of identity, corruption, lack of resources within the country, bailout, failure of banks and emigration to name a few.

I thought it would be interesting to hear peoples honest opinions regarding Ireland leaving the United Kingdom.

Personally, I seem to be convincing myself more and more of how incapable we were of running our own country. Although nothing would boil my blood more than to see the Union Jack flying over Dublin Castle or Leinster House. Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

It'd be great if anyone had any suggested reading or opinions on this. Cheers

Would you prefer to see Ireland as the UK or ROI? 10 votes

Republic of Ireland
    0% 0 votes
    United Kingdom
    80% 8 votes
    Undecided
    20% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

More suited to After Hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Considering what direction the thread will be brought in by the usual keyboard warriors masquerading in arguing on a principle which joe public doesn't give second thought to in his everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

It would be interesting if people voted with a neutral viewpoint. I think it's an area we can be particularly defensive about, but vote with an open-mind.

People should back-up their votes aswell :/

I'm quite a boring **** to have votedneutral

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

We'd need to place this in the current European context, of our common membership of the EU and that the UK and Ireland are alligned in many ways and share valued trade links. While not politically part of the UK, our current worldview is closely linked, so political union (leaving aside the NI context) is rather immaterial at this stage.
    Historically, my own preference would have been a peaceful devolution along the lines that Scotland currently has - but given the historical actors/trends concerning Home Rule, I'd reckon this would have been an unlikely scenario.

• Advertisement

To back up my vote, I cite the whole Sean Quinn epic: Loved and despised in equal measure by natives who consider themselves either Irish or English citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Not history in my opinion- more future! Its maybe more a political point so better suited to politics forum.

moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement