Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a House and Need Advice Re Renovation

Options
  • 22-01-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

HI, I am bidding on a semi detached two storey 3 bed house in Cork city in reasonable condition. I already had an engineer look at it and while structurally ok it will need renovation. Needless to say I know nothing about these things and I am worried if I bid too high I may eat up all my budget for renovation.

If anyone has any idea or has done something like that can you advise how much (just a ballpark) will it cost to do these:
    - install dry lining
    - install a new kitchen
    - update downstairs loo and add a sink
    - knock a wall to create kitchen/ dining space
    - paint walls and ceilings in all rooms
    - replace the fireplace
    - install new floors in all rooms
    - install decking at the back.

I am just wondering how much this is going to cost. I mean labour, I know fittings can vary a lot. I just want to know if it's going to be say 50k to get everything sorted .... there may be no need to go ahead with the bidding if it is.

If anyone can help it will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Orchid wrote: »
    HI, I am bidding on a semi detached two storey 3 bed house in Cork city in reasonable condition. I already had an engineer look at it and while structurally ok it will need renovation. Needless to say I know nothing about these things and I am worried if I bid too high I may eat up all my budget for renovation.

If anyone has any idea or has done something like that can you advise how much (just a ballpark) will it cost to do these:
    - install dry lining 500 per room.
    - install a new kitchen 5k for a nice one. 1.5k for appliances
    - update downstairs loo and add a sink. 2.5
    - knock a wall to create kitchen/ dining space for a 12 foot span about 2.5k -4k including structural cert
    - paint walls and ceilings in all rooms. 100 per room for a foreigner 300 per room for an Irish lad.
    - replace the fireplace. Depends on what you need done. I'd recommend fitting a stove.
    - install new floors in all rooms. Complete variable depends on taste, style, real wood, carpet, laminate etc.
    - install decking at the back. Is it still 2008? 2.5k up

I am just wondering how much this is going to cost. I mean labour, I know fittings can vary a lot. I just want to know if it's going to be say 50k to get everything sorted .... there may be no need to go ahead with the bidding if it is.

If anyone can help it will be much appreciated.
    See above

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Orchid

Thanks a million ted1, very much appreciated.

Advertisement