Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agency want us to renew lease.

Options
  • 22-01-2014 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance if this has been posted before. Ive seen similar threads but circumstances seemed abit different.

Basically we are renting a house for the last 13 months. The lease expired last month but we got a call from the letting agency today saying we have to sign another 12 month lease if we want to stay on.

We happy out in the property but may well look to move on in the summer giving the correct notice of course. Do we have to sign another lease again as i believed we were under no obligation to as we there over 12 months?

any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You're now on a part 4 tenancy, so do not have to renew the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They probably lose out on commission if you don't sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

thanks for that. Thats exactly what i believed was the case as well.

When the agents ring back tomorrow i know they will start insisting signing the lease and will threaten afew things too no doubt. I just wanted to make sure of our rights before the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You have no legal obligation to sign a lease if you do not want to, and there is nothing that can do to make you.

Just be a bit wary in case they start trying to exercise some of the part 4 clauses that allow them to terminate a tenancy. If they start talking about the owner wanting to move back in or the house being put up for sale or something like that then it might be an idea to have a chat with the landlord (whos details you should have been provided with) and explain to them that you do not wish to sign a further signed lease and are they are they aware of what the agent has been saying to you.

viper006 wrote: »
    thanks for that. Thats exactly what i believed was the case as well.

When the agents ring back tomorrow i know they will start insisting signing the lease and will threaten afew things too no doubt. I just wanted to make sure of our rights before the call.

Let us know what they say; Id be interested to hear the kind of thing they will come out with to try and make you sign the lease!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP also remember that under Part 4 the notice periods for termination may be different to what is in your lease.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

Alternately you could agree to sign under the condition of a break clause being inserted (generally at the six month mark). You could make up something regarding possible re-location of work etc.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

As others have said you have no legal obligation to sign and are entitled to stay on as part 4 tenants.

Point this out to them and if they try and give you any Bull stating otherwise just laugh at them and tell them you will be complaining to the relevant bodies about their lack of professionalism and knowledge in their area of expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

djimi wrote: »
    You have no legal obligation to sign a lease if you do not want to, and there is nothing that can do to make you.

Just be a bit wary in case they start trying to exercise some of the part 4 clauses that allow them to terminate a tenancy. If they start talking about the owner wanting to move back in or the house being put up for sale or something like that then it might be an idea to have a chat with the landlord (whos details you should have been provided with) and explain to them that you do not wish to sign a further signed lease and are they are they aware of what the agent has been saying to you.

We have a great business relationship with the landlord directly. I know he is happy out having us as tenants and we keep the house well and dont bother him. I dont think the landlord even knows the agency is looking for another lease, they claim its "their policy to keep valid updated leases on file".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

viper006 wrote: »
    We have a great business relationship with the landlord directly. I know he is happy out having us as tenants and we keep the house well and dont bother him. I dont think the landlord even knows the agency is looking for another lease, they claim its "their policy to keep valid updated leases on file".

They can have whatever policies they like but that doesn't mean you're necessarily under any legal obligation to accommodate them (as you're not in this case)

I'd probably have a chat to the landlord if it were me and let him know what's going on seeing as he's the one who has to pay these clowns.

• Advertisement

well Viper point out to them that their policy is illegal and Id go as far as to point out to them your aware their policy only exists so that they can get a relet fee out of the LL.

Send them off with their tail between their legs. EA's are scum of the earth and I hate how they try and lie like this for their own ends.

It just goes to show how shockingly unregulated these companies are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

It just goes to show how shockingly unregulated these companies are though.

It would be an idea to to aquaint yourself with the PSRA before you mention about this sector being unregulated.

blacklilly wrote: »
    It would be an idea to to aquaint yourself with the PSRA before you mention about this sector being unregulated.

Are you for real ? Its beyond hilarity that you think the PSRA do anything or cause even one iota of fear within the sector.

The word toothless doesn't even begin to describe them.

Show me a case where they have stripped a licence or handed out a hefty fine ....

Im aware that they exist, but they dont appear to be doing a lot given the kind of stories of this nature that you hear quite regularly about letting agents.

Im aware that they exist, but they dont appear to be doing a lot given the kind of stories of this nature that you hear quite regularly about letting agents.

Take one guess as to why that's the case?

People are quicker to come onto fourums like this then to lodge complaints with the relevant aithorities, in this case the PSRA.

For so long people complained about the industry not being regulated, now it is regulated and people continue to complain.

They are a Regulatory Authority, use them when required, simple as.

D3PO wrote: »
    Are you for real ? Its beyond hilarity that you think the PSRA do anything or cause even one iota of fear within the sector.

The word toothless doesn't even begin to describe them.

Show me a case where they have stripped a licence or handed out a hefty fine ....

Do you work in this sector?

I can assure you that the introduction of the PSRA has been a welcomed addition to me and the compay I work for.
    Now if you have an issue with a property service provider, bring it to the attention of the PSRA.

Take one guess as to why that's the case?

People are quicker to come onto fourums like this then to lodge complaints with the relevant aithorities, in this case the PSRA.

For so long people complained about the industry not being regulated, now it is regulated and people continue to complain.

They are a Regulatory Authority, use them when required, simple as.

This is completely disingenuous. Yes of course many people don't make official complaints but those that do never have any meaningful conclusions to them.

Like I said Ive never heard of any EA losing their license or being fined heavily for serious conduct breaches. Perhaps you would be so kind as to show me otherwise.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks can you please get back on topic.

If you wish to debate the PSRA by all means start a new thread.

Do you work in this sector?

I can assure you that the introduction of the PSRA has been a welcomed addition to me and the compay I work for.
    Now if you have an issue with a property service provider, bring it to the attention of the PSRA.

Anybody can pay lipservice and welcome the addition of such an authority. Why wouldn't EA's welcome the PSRA.

They are toothless and now EA's can hid behind their regulator and point to their lack of sanctions as to how well the industry is run. :rolleyes:

Having a regulator doesn't mean things are being managed right. Just look at the banks ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Same thing happened to me a few years ago and when I told the agent I wasn't legally required to sign a new lease they contacted the landlord and told him I was trouble :D I had a great relationship with him so he knew they were full of it and ditched them to deal directly with me.

Advertisement